Israel's top general contradicts Netanyahu

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Special...ts-Netanyahu/UPI-31661335457173/?spt=hts&or=3

Israel's military chief of staff publicly challenged Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's strident urging for pre-emptive strikes against Iran, a move likely to sharpen the confrontation between Israel's hawks and cooler heads in the military.

Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz asserted in an interview published in the liberal Haaretz daily Wednesday that he doesn't believe Iran will opt to develop nuclear weapons because Israel is too strong and the Tehran leadership is "composed of very rational people."

Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz sounds like the level-headed type of person that should be prime ministering Israel.

Sep 12, 2004
I think it's great that the military brass can freely state their opinion, even if it differs from that of the top politician. If only that were possible in every Middle Eastern country the world would probably be a better place.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
What the article said was Iran wants to acquire nukes but he thinks international pressure will cause them to fold first. He says that other nations will back Israeli military action if it comes to it and that Iran having nukes is a problem. Did you bother to read what you linked to?

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
What the article said was Iran wants to acquire nukes but he thinks international pressure will cause them to fold first. He says that other nations will back Israeli military action if it comes to it and that Iran having nukes is a problem. Did you bother to read what you linked to?

title and 2 paragraphs..tops. that's all i can put up with on anything

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
title and 2 paragraphs..tops. that's all i can put up with on anything

Excellent excuse for trolling.

Then you still expect people to take you seriously when your are an admitted fraud :thumbsdown:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I t doesn't say Iran wants to acquire nukes at all. Quote the passage.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I t doesn't say Iran wants to acquire nukes at all. Quote the passage.

Gantz said that in his assessment Iran is seeking to develop its "military nuclear capability," but that the Islamic Republic would ultimately bow to international pressure and decide against building a weapon.

The key to that pressure, he said, were sanctions and the threat of a military strike.

Linked article - conveniently ignored by Sand Eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.