Israel is live-tweeting its offensive into Gaza

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Andrew111

Aug 6, 2001
The Palestinians have the capability and PR to manufacture false evidence.

In most cases, the evidence does not need to be presented; there are suckers that will lap it up just because of Israeli hatred.

So is the BBC lying about the civilian casualties? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20383756

The death toll currently stands at three Isrealis and at least 50 Palestinians, about half of whom are estimated to be civilians

The mere fact that Israel couldn't even be bothered to promise to freeze settlement building in what is supposed to be part of Palestinian territory really tells you that Israel doesn't want peace/a Palestinian state. In fact, you can read that directly from a Jewish newspaper: Israel does not want a Palestinian state. Period.. At least that article shows you some people in Israel find Israel's actions deplorable towards the Palestinians.

How can you be surprised that Palestinians join militant organizations such as Hamas when Israeli actions breed such resentment? They were forced from their homes/land, and Israel no longer even pretends to pay lip-service to a Palestinian state. Negotiations with Israel are a farce...and you wonder why they are pissed off and launch rockets at the nation that treats them like shit?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
So is the BBC lying about the civilian casualties? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20383756

The death toll currently stands at three Isrealis and at least 50 Palestinians, about half of whom are estimated to be civilians

The mere fact that Israel couldn't even be bothered to promise to freeze settlement building in what is supposed to be part of Palestinian territory really tells you that Israel doesn't want peace/a Palestinian state. In fact, you can read that directly from a Jewish newspaper: Israel does not want a Palestinian state. Period.. At least that article shows you some people in Israel find Israel's actions deplorable towards the Palestinians.

How can you be surprised that Palestinians join militant organizations such as Hamas when Israeli actions breed such resentment? They were forced from their homes/land, and Israel no longer even pretends to pay lip-service to a Palestinian state. Negotiations with Israel are a farce...and you wonder why they are pissed off and launch rockets at the nation that treats them like shit?

Once this offensive gets rolling ; the PR machine will get cranked up.

The Palestinians brought this on themselves by trying to take over Israel as a fledgling nation back in '48.

They lost; asked for a do-over and lost a second time.

They are not going to get the whole thing back; they are being led down the primrose path by political leaders that require conflict to stay in power.

And in the process, everytime they attack Israel; they earn retaliation. Some in property loss, property destruction and lives.
Some lives are collateral because of where the militants run to.

Considering that the Palestinians have no compulsion about deliberately generating civilian casualties; my heart bleeds. <sarcasm>
Israel at least gives advance warns to some areas; alerting where the damage is going to be; allowing civilians to get out. If they continue this pattern when ground attacks happen, it also exposes its own people to be targets.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
if that's what you mean then it was rockets that apparently shot into israel (however that happens all the time, also, israel has been ramping up since our presidential election)

basically, what everyone doesn't realize because they dont follow it regularly, is that this is an israeli aggressive, they've been talking about it for a while, and they must keep us support, or there's a very good chance it could end up badly for them...

basically, we're deciding if we want to back this (and how much so)

it could.. be nothing..(we could betray israel)

it could.. be ww3

How in the holy name of hell could it be ww3?

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
Let's put this way...
On internet, we have Google Earth - we can see a house where we live....
GPS are tracked all the way...in UK a guy was sentenced to life and main evidence was - GPS records...
Now, when it comes to military, they have much more sophisticated technologies than Google Earth or GPS system...
Israel isn't an Afganistan, Israel is a military power with countless nuclear weapons...it means, Israel should have a very sophisticated intelligence satellites systems...
Now, a Palestine is not that big in order to track anything what's going on there - it's a very small country...
Assuming Israel's military power - they could easily track, where from rockets are being launched and all palestinian offensive could be done, let's say, in a couple of hours or less.
Rockets keep flying while Israel's Intelligence is doing nothing?
Prolly, it must be so...it's a Plan - see FALSE FLAG on wiki...

I don't really watch so-called News - newsmen get paid to tell what they say or to write - if it's on newspapers...

I wait on analysis of these events from people like Noam Chomsky or others....

But so far, it doesn't seem right...what's on the news....

Once this offensive gets rolling ; the PR machine will get cranked up.

The Palestinians brought this on themselves by trying to take over Israel as a fledgling nation back in '48.

They lost; asked for a do-over and lost a second time.

They are not going to get the whole thing back; they are being led down the primrose path by political leaders that require conflict to stay in power.

And in the process, everytime they attack Israel; they earn retaliation. Some in property loss, property destruction and lives.
Some lives are collateral because of where the militants run to.

Considering that the Palestinians have no compulsion about deliberately generating civilian casualties; my heart bleeds. <sarcasm>
Israel at least gives advance warns to some areas; alerting where the damage is going to be; allowing civilians to get out. If they continue this pattern when ground attacks happen, it also exposes its own people to be targets.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Let's put this way...
GPS are tracked all the way...in UK a guy was sentenced to life and main evidence was - GPS records...
Now, when it comes to military, they have much more sophisticated technologies than Google Earth or GPS system...
Israel isn't an Afganistan, Israel is a military power with countless nuclear weapons...it means, Israel should have a very sophisticated intelligence satellites systems...
Now, a Palestine is not that big in order to track anything what's going on there - it's a very small country...
Assuming Israel's military power - they could easily track, where from rockets are being launched and all palestinian offensive could be done, let's say, in a couple of hours or less.

Israel's intelligence isn't doing nothing.....You are aware that israel is bombing gaza, right?

I would imagine that israel can blow up any location from which a rocket originates pretty quickly but that doing so is essentially whack-a-mole. In the long run they need to make sure there is a stable palestinian state.

Sep 12, 2004
Miitant Palestinians don't want a Palestinian State either. If such a thing came about they would have to deal with Israel via diplomacy and they would have to be responsible for their actions as a sovereign entity, neither of which they could tolerate. It is why they have refused to come to the negotiating table and refuse to recognize Israel as a State.

Both sides are to blame here, not just one, and it's been that way since this shitstorm began.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Let's put this way...

I don't really watch so-called News - newsmen get paid to tell what they say or to write - if it's on newspapers...

Are you really serious? Remember back during Gulf War 1 the great SCUD hunt in the Desert? Those where big SCUD missiles in a big truck. The US spent weeks trying to hunt down those things in the desert. These rockets are usually not fired from the same location. Literally the rockets are setup and fired from anywhere using a improvised firing platform and literally as soon as the rockets fire the HAMAS people run away from that location. The rockets are small and can literally be manhandled into place and might use something as simple as re-bar, or wooden 2x4 as a launch platform. The rockets are completely in-accurate but they make a great terror weapon. Do you have any concept of hard it is to spot something like these small rockets?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qassam_rocket Seriously do a little more research first.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Let's put this way...

1) The rockets are a shoot & scoot - the firing team does not stick around after the rocket is launched

2) They setup the rockets from high density civilian locations to try and prevent return fire.

3) The targets of the rockets mean nothing as to where they are aimed - population areas is all that matters.

If Israel does not return fire; the shooters are safe; retrieve the equipment used for another firing.
If Israel does retaliate immediately, the shooters may get caught - usually not; they are running as soon as the rocket lifts off.
The return fire will destroy anything around the firing location. Setup the launcher on a playground and the schools, houses around will sustain damage. The shooters do not care. It becomes PR for those that are killed - martyrs for the cause of pissing off the Israelis; not destroying Israel and reclaiming all of Palestine.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Let's put this way...

My goodness, you must work for the NGIA with such advanced knowledge of satellites, satellite imagery and satellite intelligence. :rolleyes:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Seriously do a little more research first.

Seriously...

FADJR-3.FADJR-5_SIZE_DIAGRAM_FINAL.JPG

I would say some of you have got a lot of learning to do.
But on the other hand I see other posters who do know better, and they just keep repeating BS anyways.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Seriously...

But on the other hand I see other posters who do know better, and they just keep repeating BS anyways.

You don't think a team of guys can position 45kg and 90kg rockets into hasty firing positions? The knuckle heads over hear literally carry around old anti-aircraft systems (the kind with 4 barrels, a chair and leg controls) in pieces, assemble them on mountainsides and shoot at our bases with them.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Seriously...

Two people can easily carry a 90kg system.
A third person carries the firing equipment.

Or they lug it around in any pickup.

Set it up so the exhaust clears the tail gate and they are gone inside a minute after launch.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Two people can easily carry a 90kg system.
A third person carries the firing equipment.

Or they lug it around in any pickup.

Set it up so the exhaust clears the tail gate and they are gone inside a minute after launch.

Once again, can you link me to some official doc.
According to everything I have read they have to build an underground launching system for these.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
According to everything I have read they have to build an underground launching system for these.

Hamas uses a variety of rockets to launch at Israeli. The rockets you show are the longest range rockets they have and are made in Iran. Interesting how you cherry pick to show the largest rockets that HAMAS uses to try and make your point. How they got to HAMAS is another story since Iran denies sending any weapons to HAMAS. The majority of rockets that are fired have shorter range like the ones below. A couple of guys and launch rails is all that is needed. Looks like you might need to do a little more learning.

hamas-rockets-2012-1.jpg

hezbollah.jpg

images.jpg

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

They even build homemade rockets, why is it even remotely a stretch to believe they have built homemade portable or very cheap static launchers?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/19/us-palestinians-israel-gaza-arsenal-idUSBRE8AI0MO20121119

And it looks like the vast majority of the rockets they have and are firing are not the ones you listed.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Looks like you might need to do a little more learning.

I picked the Fajr-5 because in your post you failed to mention them.
They are the biggest threat facing Israel now, and they are being launched from underground launchers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Pillar_of_Defense

The fact that you compared finding a Scud launcher in the Iraqi desert to finding a launcher in the Gaza strip shows you lack some fundamental perspective of the area.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I picked the Fajr-5 because in your post you failed to mention them.
They are the biggest threat facing Israel now, and they are being launched from underground launchers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Pillar_of_Defense

The fact that you compared finding a Scud launcher in the Iraqi desert to finding a launcher in the Gaza strip shows you lack some fundamental perspective of the area.

I was making the comparison because the poster had stated that finding the rocket launchers in Gaza should be easy. I was saying that the US had trouble finding large SCUD launchers that where much larger than these rockets. The poster was insinuating that Israeli should easily know where all the rockets are being launched.

Most of the rockets being fired are not these large type's of rockets. They are much shorter range and being fired against the cities closest to the Gaza strip. They also allow minimum time for response for the shorter range. They are also fired in volleys of multiple rockets at a time. Why do you consider the Fajr-5 the greatest threat?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
I was making the comparison because the poster had stated that finding the rocket launchers in Gaza should be easy. I was saying that the US had trouble finding large SCUD launchers that where much larger than these rockets. The poster was insinuating that Israeli should easily know where all the rockets are being launched.

Most of the rockets being fired are not these large type's of rockets. They are much shorter range and being fired against the cities closest to the Gaza strip. They also allow minimum time for response for the shorter range. They are also fired in volleys of multiple rockets at a time. Why do you consider the Fajr-5 the greatest threat?

From my link

Hamas, with aid from Iranian technical experts and the Sudanese government, smuggled in to Gaza Iranian-made Fajr-5 rockets with increased range and lethality, placing the highly populated Israeli central district, and other metropolitan areas in range.

Every other article about this mentions it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/16/fajr5-missile-gaza-israel-iran

Fajr-5 missile gives Palestinians rare if short-lived advantage

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Seriously...

My understanding is that the 5 series are launched from underground facilities. Not sure about the 3's.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

The articles are saying that. However is the IDF saying that? I really don't see that weapon as much more as a propaganda weapon. Any of these rockets aimed at Tel Aviv will fall right into the intercept envelope of Iron Dome. As shown here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qSf1whPlOA
The longer range gives a better warning for Israeli's and they are not fired in large barrages since HAMAS doesn't have very many of them. I really don't see how these larger weapons are that much of a threat to Israeli. It is the short range rockets that are launched into close by towns that give minimum warning and are more difficult for Iron Dome to intercept. Basically a active Missile Defense/Rocket Defense takes much of the threat of these weapons away. It is great for propaganda purposes and the Guardian can talk about it all it wants. However over the years it is the short range rocket launches that have been done a daily/weekly basis that are really getting on Israeli's nerves.