Israel better prepared for Iraq war

Grasshopper27

Banned
Sep 11, 2002
When Iraqi Scud missiles landed in Israel during the 1991 Persian Gulf War, Israeli officials and analysts recall, Israel depended on sluggish American warnings, U.S. Patriot antimissile batteries failed to stop a single incoming Scud and more Israelis died of heart attacks in the panic to pull on gas masks and seek cover than were killed by the missiles.

Times have changed. On the eve of a widely expected new war against Iraq, Israel is deploying one of the most sophisticated missile defense systems in the world, has its own spy satellite and radar warning system and has created a vast Home Front Command to prepare citizens and medical services for potential attacks.

Even so, military officials acknowledge that the billions of dollars spent on improving readiness in the past decade, including the showcase Arrow missile defense system financed largely by the United States, falls far short of fail-safe protection for the cities and citizens considered most vulnerable to an Iraqi attack.

As a result, Israel has also improved its ability to strike back at Iraq and other potential enemies. In addition to nuclear-capable surface-to-surface missiles, air-to-surface missiles and bombs, Israel is arming three diesel-powered submarines with cruise missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads.

Israel has long refused to confirm or deny possession of nuclear weapons, saying it would not introduce them into the Middle East. But Issam Mahoul, an Arab member of the Israeli parliament, the Knesset, said last year that Israel has up to 300 nuclear devices. Foreign arms monitoring groups and think tanks have cited similar figures ranging from 250 to 400 devices.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Israel lives in a state of preparedness for war 24/7/365. That's what happens when you're surrounded by all those nice peaceful Islamic countries whose primary goal is to kill every one of your citizens and wipe your country off the map. The only reason it hasn't happened is because it's been proven that Israel will kick ass in a ground war and it's assumed that anyone that tries using WMDs will themselves be reduced to a smoking crater. If Israel was gettable, they would have been gotten already.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Yea, for once, the US can use Isreal to do its dirty work and not the other way around.

Grasshopper27

Banned
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: her209
Yea, for once, the US can use Isreal to do its dirty work and not the other way around.
Hmm...

Maybe we should just have Israel attack Iraq for us, then when all those "peaceful Islamic" countries attack, Israel can deal with them too. ;)

LOL! :D

Grasshopper

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Grasshopper27
Originally posted by: her209
Hmm...

Maybe we should just have Israel attack Iraq for us, then when all those "peaceful Islamic" countries attack, Israel can deal with them too. ;)

LOL! :D

Grasshopper

You have got to be kidding. If Israel retaliates to any attack by Iraq every Arab country in the region would use that as an excuse to attack them and try to drive them into the sea once again. That would start the Muslim vs. the west war that bin Laden has been trying to start with his attacks. No, Israel will have to sit and take any attacks and not retaliate.

Sucks to be Israel, but that is the realitity of the situation they are in right now.

Grasshopper27

Banned
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: etech
You have got to be kidding. If Israel retaliates to any attack by Iraq every Arab country in the region would use that as an excuse to attack them and try to drive them into the sea once again. That would start the Muslim vs. the west war that bin Laden has been trying to start with his attacks. No, Israel will have to sit and take any attacks and not retaliate.

Sucks to be Israel, but that is the realitity of the situation they are in right now.
Oh of course I'm kidding, sheesh... Can't say anything these days without getting attacked...

(pun intended)

If Israel is hit with chemical or biological weapons, I cannot imagine that they would not respond with nuclear weapons.

Grasshopper

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: NickelTitanium
This whole situation is a British made mistake that will cost us all.

British made. American supported. And all the little trolls follow in lockstep.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: hagbard

The trolls being the little osamas who all strap dyanmite around their waste and blow up innoncent people or hijack airplanes?

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
If Israel got hit by chemical/bio weapons fron Iraq, Israeli nukes would probably start flying.

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000

The trolls being the little osamas who all strap dyanmite around their waste and blow up innoncent people or hijack airplanes?

The trolls who support Israel in its campaign against the Palestinians, and by supporting puppet regimes in that region throughout most of the 20th century. For every action.....

rubenswm

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2000
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Israel lives in a state of preparedness for war 24/7/365. That's what happens when you're surrounded by all those nice peaceful Islamic countries whose primary goal is to kill every one of your citizens and wipe your country off the map. The only reason it hasn't happened is because it's been proven that Israel will kick ass in a ground war and it's assumed that anyone that tries using WMDs will themselves be reduced to a smoking crater. If Israel was gettable, they would have been gotten already.

yeah, as if you know their goal. I'm not a very big fan of many of those countries myself but I can't blame em for being pissed off. Having their arab men women and children lined up and shot by IDF forces during the zionist movement must have put a big fvcking smile on their faces didnt it?

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

The trolls who support Israel in its campaign against the Palestinians, and by supporting puppet regimes in that region throughout most of the 20th century. For every action.....

Hagbard, believe me I can understand why the Arab countries are so pissed off. They were doing pretty well back around the Middle Ages. They controlled a large amount of territory and their civilization was quite advanced for that time. Then we roll around to WWI and they sided with the Germans. That was of course a poor judgement on their part and resulted in the loss of quite a bit of their land to Britain. Sorry about that old chaps. The Jews start moving back around that time and instead of helping them or benefiting from the improvement the Jews were making to the backwards regions they moved to the Arabs decided to attack them. Oh well, next we move to WWII. As far as I can tell the Arabs were pretty much neutral in that war. They just kind of ignored it with the exception of some like the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem that once again sided with the Germans. Now we come to after the war and there is all sorts of little skirmishes between the Arabs and Jews. The Arabs pass laws forbidding the sale of land to the Jews and even killing any Arabs who would dare do that. Finally the Brits throw up their hands and give the problem to the U.N.. The U.N. decides that the Arabs won't ever let the Jews live there so they parcel out the land. The next day the Arab countries attack. They lost again. Then the Arab countries choose again and side with the USSR. Great choice on their part and the USSR falls.

So after loosing their empire and making all of those poor choices it is easy to understand why they are so pissed off and looking to blame their problems on someone else. Perhaps someday they will learn to make better choices and move into the 20th century.

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000

Hagbard, believe me I can understand why the Arab countries are so pissed off. They were doing pretty well back around the Middle Ages. They controlled a large amount of territory and their civilization was quite advanced for that time. Then we roll around to WWI and they sided with the Germans. That was of course a poor judgement on their part and resulted in the loss of quite a bit of their land to Britain. Sorry about that old chaps. The Jews start moving back around that time and instead of helping them or benefiting from the improvement the Jews were making to the backwards regions they moved to the Arabs decided to attack them. Oh well, next we move to WWII. As far as I can tell the Arabs were pretty much neutral in that war. They just kind of ignored it with the exception of some like the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem that once again sided with the Germans. Now we come to after the war and there is all sorts of little skirmishes between the Arabs and Jews. The Arabs pass laws forbidding the sale of land to the Jews and even killing any Arabs who would dare do that. Finally the Brits throw up their hands and give the problem to the U.N.. The U.N. decides that the Arabs won't ever let the Jews live there so they parcel out the land. The next day the Arab countries attack. They lost again. Then the Arab countries choose again and side with the USSR. Great choice on their part and the USSR falls.

So after loosing their empire and making all of those poor choices it is easy to understand why they are so pissed off and looking to blame their problems on someone else. Perhaps someday they will learn to make better choices and move into the 20th century.

Thanks for the "history lesson" but I'm already familiar with the background material. And thanks for the tired old propaganda trying to explain "Arab behavior". Of course, the US giving a few billion a year to Israel and keeping hated regimes in power has nothing to do with it...thanks...I feel so enlightened now.

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Well, they better be.
Since they seem to be the fvcking idiots pushing for this war.
(I hope they get what they deserve.)

Vernor

Sep 9, 2001
The trolls who support Israel in its campaign against the Palestinians

The Pals started this war.

But you knew that.

Spagina

Dec 31, 2000
I got a better idea. Instead of making excuses for all the crap going on in this region, why don't we actually encourage them to advance ATLEAST into the 17th century?

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vernor
The trolls who support Israel in its campaign against the Palestinians

The Pals started this war.

But you knew that.
the little people know
rolleye.gif

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Spagina
I got a better idea. Instead of making excuses for all the crap going on in this region, why don't we actually encourage them to advance ATLEAST into the 17th century?
now there is an idea :)

the past wont change and arguing about it wont make anything in the future better

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Czar
Originally posted by: Spagina
now there is an idea :)

the past wont change and arguing about it wont make anything in the future better

Blaming the problems of the entire Middle East on what can be argued is only a small border dispute won't make anything better in that region either. It helps the leaders of the Arab countries distract from the problems in their country. It helps all the people of that region blame their problems on another country. But that does not help but is all I usually see in any discussion of the region.

The Israeli/Palestinian Arab problem could have been solved long ago but it is not in the best interests in the leaders of the Arab countries or the leaders of the resistance movements to do so.