Question ISP provided Router/Modem faster than stand alone router?

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Long time no see AT, usually lurk around in OT but today I've come across an interesting issue.

Recently I moved into my friend's house, who doesn't understand networking that well and they had been using the router modem combo (because her router was not compatible...?). I have an AC1750 (Archer 7) and I hooked it up, got it all situated, but to my disbelief, the speeds I get through that router is slower than the router modem combo.

I already know that the placement of the networking gear is not idea (in a closet downstairs), but that is where the lines come in, as far as I know.

Any thing I should look into? Maybe QoS on the router modem combo (this is from AT&T).

Thanks,

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Are we talking wired ethernet speeds, or wifi only?

If we're talking wifi, i'd recommend a wireless access point located somewhere to provide better coverage for the whole house. With 5Ghz wifi, there is only so much you can do if you've got a lot of physical obstructions in the way. 5Ghz just doesn't penetrate well.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Are we talking wired ethernet speeds, or wifi only?

If we're talking wifi, i'd recommend a wireless access point located somewhere to provide better coverage for the whole house. With 5Ghz wifi, there is only so much you can do if you've got a lot of physical obstructions in the way. 5Ghz just doesn't penetrate well.
Wifi only.

I'm confused as to why a modem router combo outperforms a standalone from across the house.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Router/modem combo by itself doesn't mean it will be worse signal quality than a standalone unit.

I'd use the modem/router combo and add your archer 7 as an access point to extend the wifi coverage.

It's wifi though, it shouldn't be used for anything that requires massive download speeds, use ethernet for that.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The newest Verizon FIOS "Home Router" (AX/Wifi6) and Comcast/Xfinity XB6 (or is it XB7? The one with the 2.5GbE port, also AX/Wifi6) are pretty decent overall.

If that's what you've got, I'm not at all surprised that they out-perform your Archer C7.

If it's an older Gateway, then it's kind of a toss-up. Location can be everything for Wifi routers, too, don't forget that. And 2.4Ghz versus 5Ghz for propegation/distance versus speed, that's also an issue, when dealing with larger homes or more walls.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Why can combo be faster than yours? Short answer--because it's wifi.

Long answer--could be signal saturation in the airspace, collisions in the airspace, the way the clients connect to each, the way the signal propagates on each--and these are just off the top of my head. In short, there are a tremendous number of variables that come into play when comparing wifi speeds. Wired--not so much.