ISO-software to report dhcp on home server

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I have a small home network on that the external ip address uses dhcp. Changing it to static would be an additional 40 bucks/month just for static ip so thats not a solution.

The problem is, My router can grab up to 3-4 different ip addresses throughout the day and with me being at work, I have no way of knowing what my home ip address is. Is there a tool that I can cron or batch that can check the external ip address and then report it somewhere, either in an email to me or out to a site?

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
How about using one of the numerous dynamic DNS services out there? Do a Google search for dynamic dns and your question is answered.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Workin'
How about using one of the numerous dynamic DNS services out there? Do a Google search for dynamic dns and your question is answered.
Took the words right out of my mouth. DynDNS + DirectUpdate works great!

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I dont want to use a dynamic dns service. I simply want my ip address reported to me in email or published on a website.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: slag
I dont want to use a dynamic dns service. I simply want my ip address reported to me in email or published on a website.
You can use DirectUpdate to email you when your IP changes. May I ask why you don't want to use a dynamic dns service?

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

why not use a dynamic dns service?

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
sorry, the clients I used in the past required windows and I want to put this on my linux box instead of having it memory resident on my 2k box. I looked at direct update and it looked like an NT service only application.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
sorry, the clients I used in the past required windows and I want to put this on my linux box instead of having it memory resident on my 2k box. I looked at direct update and it looked like an NT service only application.
Check out DynDNS's list of clients, they have tons of Linux clients...I believe there is a Linux variant of DirectUpdate as well (cron job should've tipped me off ;)).

samgau

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: werk
Check out DynDNS's list of clients, they have tons of Linux clients...I believe there is a Linux variant of DirectUpdate as well (cron job should've tipped me off ;)).

What he said... :)
I use it all the time.... works like a charm... of course I got an XP box....

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
thanks. i dont see a direct updater linux version (looks like what i wanted exactly), so I'll check out dydns.

thanks!

Joe

p.s. how is it going to be able to query my external IP from my router and report it. wont it just report the internal facing ip on my home network?

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
thanks. i dont see a direct updater linux version (looks like what i wanted exactly), so I'll check out dydns.

thanks!

Joe

p.s. how is it going to be able to query my external IP from my router and report it. wont it just report the internal facing ip on my home network?
You have to think of Dynamic DNS services in two parts:

1) The actual service, such as DynDNS
2) A client program

DirectUpdate is an example of a client program. The DynDNS (an example of a service) site offers links to tons of others.
What happens is the client program queries an external server which reports back your external (WAN) ip. The client then sends this info to your Dynamic DNS service, which updates your record so that when someone types in blablabla.somedynamicdnsservice.com, it goes to your external ip. Then, your preconfigured router/NAT points traffic to the appropriate LAN ip to go to based on which port is being accessed.

I apologize for pointing you to DirectUpdate, I could've sworn there was a Linux variant. If you ever decide to use a Win PC for the client task, it is definitely one of the best!