isntability, have tried everything. AMD X6 and Asus board.

bobloadmire

Oct 3, 2006
here's the new build:

AMD 1055T X6
Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
8gb (2x4GB) OCZ/GSKILL
radeon 5850/geforce 260
corsair 750tx/muskin 520w
ocz 50gb Vertex2

it crashes randomly under load. could be 10 minutes, could be 2 hours.
just freezes, no BSOD, nothing, just stuck screen, and high pitch noise through speakers.

I have removed my soundblaster audio card, adjusted my memory times to way lax, and slowed the ram from 1333 to 800. I have swaped out the ram through rma from ocz to Gskill. Tried those 2 different power supplies, I rma'd the motherboard. I tried those 2 different video cards. i installed the os on a regular hard drive and removed the SSD. unpluged everything but mouse,keyboard and 1 monitor. Still unstable. Only thing i haven't tried is replacing the CPU. is that possible to get this kind of error?

the only hit i have is the machine become more stable with relaxed memory timing. But I'm way over specs when i tried either set of ram. Oh yeah, different ram slots tried.

and all of my temps are great. nothing ever goes over 50c with prime95.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
here's the new build:

AMD 1055T X6
Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
8gb (2x4GB) OCZ/GSKILL
radeon 5850/geforce 260
corsair 750tx/muskin 520w
ocz 50gb Vertex2

it crashes randomly under load. could be 10 minutes, could be 2 hours.
just freezes, no BSOD, nothing, just stuck screen, and high pitch noise through speakers.

I have removed my soundblaster audio card, adjusted my memory times to way lax, and slowed the ram from 1333 to 800. I have swaped out the ram through rma from ocz to Gskill. Tried those 2 different power supplies, I rma'd the motherboard. I tried those 2 different video cards. i installed the os on a regular hard drive and removed the SSD. unpluged everything but mouse,keyboard and 1 monitor. Still unstable. Only thing i haven't tried is replacing the CPU. is that possible to get this kind of error?

the only hit i have is the machine become more stable with relaxed memory timing. But I'm way over specs when i tried either set of ram. Oh yeah, different ram slots tried.

and all of my temps are great. nothing ever goes over 50c with prime95.

Sounds like mother board problems... Down with Taiwan.. headaches. :\

bobloadmire

Oct 3, 2006
like i said, i replaced the motherboard, with a different model too. first one was M4A87. I got another asus but with a slightly different chipset and bigger NB heat sink. My voltage are set to stock. 1.5 on the ram, auto on everything else. Some reason it had a hard time with the ram. Same with the timings. Is there any voltage in particular i should check? this asus board has options for about 25 different voltages.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Are you sure your ram is rated at 1.5v? DDR3 value ram is typically 1.6 or higher. I'd also check and see if those two brands of ram don't agree with each other by running them individually.

Have you tried running both 1t and 2t settings? Disabled speed step? Are you sure your CPU clocks are at default? What voltage is your motherboard running the CPU at? Do you have the latest BIOS on both boards you've tried?

If you've gotten it started I'd set everything manually instead of leaving everything on auto and see where that gets you.

bobloadmire

Oct 3, 2006
Are you sure your ram is rated at 1.5v? DDR3 value ram is typically 1.6 or higher. I'd also check and see if those two brands of ram don't agree with each other by running them individually.

Have you tried running both 1t and 2t settings? Disabled speed step? Are you sure your CPU clocks are at default? What voltage is your motherboard running the CPU at? Do you have the latest BIOS on both boards you've tried?

If you've gotten it started I'd set everything manually instead of leaving everything on auto and see where that gets you.

no guys, Im only running 8gb total. i returned the 8gb of OCZ. The gskill ram is rated at 1.5v on the package and on newegg, but i bumped it to 1.6 just in case. I have tried running these ram with only one (4gb) in each slot. the slot doesn't matter. I'm running at 2t for safety. Speedstep or CnQ is off. TurboCore is off. cpu is getting 1.344 according to CPU-z. I have updated to the latest bios.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Gskill DDR3 likes 1t. Outside of that I could only suggest you bump up your cpu voltage to 1.4v and see if that dose you any good. It would be odd to see both boards under volting your cpu to the point of failure but its been common.

Are you sure you aren't messing with the HT Link/north bridge speeds? The type of issue you're having sounds a lot *like* a failed overclock.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I don't know dude. These are the only 4gig modules supported for 1 or 2 dims DDR 1333

F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK(XMP) 8-8-8-21 1.5-1.6V

F3-10666CL8D-4GBECO(XMP) 8-8-8-24 1.35V

Your modules are not listed. These AMD boards are very picky with memory. I would check with Gskill, but according to Asus the modules you have are not listed as compatiable.

bobloadmire

Oct 3, 2006
i have also tried the OCZ ddr3 too with the same issues. The ram is listed as 2n which i read means 2t, so thats why its like that. besides 2t is safer than 1t.

richierich those ram settings are for the 2gb modules, not these 4gb ones, so i am a little hesitant to try those, but its worth a shot, let you know. BTW i just loaded asus defaults on my board and set the ram timings to a relaxed state and it hasn't crashed after a few hours of gaming. Knock on wood. I'm keeping the overdrive, and ai suite open so when it does freeze again I can grab a pic of the failed settings.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Well that's your problem, at full load your CPU should be running at least 1.34v/1.4v or higher.

Set it to 1.35 to 1.36 to start, you're safe all the way up to 1.4v so play within that range and you should be good to go from there.

Last edited:

bobloadmire

Oct 3, 2006
ok, BD231 i will try setting it to 1.35

this is information on my last system hang:
CPU:1.275 offset
NB:1.125 offset
CPU VDDA 2.5oov
DRAM 1.605v (overvolt)
HT:1.2v
NBv:1.3
NB 1.1v :1.1v
NB 1.8v: 1.8v
SB:1.2v
Sideport Memory V: 1.5v
CPU load-line calibration: Auto
CPU/MB Load-Line calibration: Auto
PCI/PCIe CLK Status: Enabled.

TurboCore: Disabled
DRAM freq:1333mhz
CPU/NB Freq:2000mhz
HT Lilnk: 2000mhz

When it crashes CPU-z and AI Suite say cpu voltage is 1.248 but AMD overdrive says voltage is 1.275.
It crashed under a total of 30% cpu usage over 6 cores, no core was fully loaded.
Cpu is at 41c and system at 34c

Some cores were at 2813mhz and some were at 2812 mhz at crash. Not sure if that means anything.

bobloadmire

Oct 3, 2006
BD231, i manually set the cpu voltage to 1.35v (CPU-Z and AI Suite fluctuate between 1.38v and 1.3680v constantly. funky. Also AMD OVerdrive reades 1.27v Also funky.). The first boot attempt when i set this value failed on the windows loading screen. i let it reboot and try again, and here I am. Some freaky shit is going on.

Last edited:

bobloadmire

Oct 3, 2006
according to this (http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Phenom_II_X6_1090T/2.html)

"With the core count bump you'd expect TDP to hit the 140 W limit again, just like the first version of Phenom II X4 965 did, but in that case you'd be very wrong. In past AMD reviews we've always checked the lower limit of core voltage where processor are still fully stable, and results have always been very impressive, often reaching near 1.1 V with stock frequency."

and their screen shot shows them @3.2ghz at 1.284v.

Last edited: