isn't the navy a waste of money?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Of course the Navy is a waste of money...in the same way the entire military machine is a waste of money...until you actually need them.

"Peacetime" expenditures for military defense are often looked at as a waste of money, but as soon as the shit hits the fan, "OMFG! Why wasn't the military ready for <insert your favorite "sneak attack>?

Battleships, cruisers, and carriers are all VERY expensive. No way to argue against that, but IMO, they're worth the cost.

Freedom isn't cheap.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Xylitol
okay to be honest - i see So's point
still though... those ships are so expensive, i still think it'd be a better deal to put that money into other defense groups

No, no it's not. We need a balanced forced. The Navy lets us put a floating hospital, an artillery unit, air base or quite a few other things at any coast in a few days. They extend our reach and having a navy carrier group sitting off the coast can really put pressure on a country when needed. When there's serious trouble anywhere in the world the first thing we do is move in a group of Navy ships to exert our presence. We don't need permission to use a country's airspace or to move into their land.

They are the best of the military branches for tough diplomacy. They can deploy faster and can lean on other countries without outright invading their land.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006

I don't know much about the military / how battles work...

/thread?

Originally posted by: BoomerD
Of course the Navy is a waste of money...in the same way the entire military machine is a waste of money...until you actually need them.

"Peacetime" expenditures for military defense are often looked at as a waste of money, but as soon as the shit hits the fan, "OMFG! Why wasn't the military ready for <insert your favorite "sneak attack>?

Battleships, cruisers, and carriers are all VERY expensive. No way to argue against that, but IMO, they're worth the cost.

Freedom isn't cheap.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
The ability to drive up to someone's front door and launch nuclear missiles and airplanes is a pretty good one.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
Originally posted by: Deeko
You need the navy for, ya know, naval superiority?

see if the world could come to a conclusion that all battleships and stuff are banned, then there would be no need for naval superiority

on another note, couldn't you just make more defenses on land to defend against other people's navys?

edit: i was only being half serious about the first part since i know that it's almost impossible

how you gonna defend your supply convoys?

moron.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Farang
Name the last large Navy ship to sink.

the USS Mayflower

Wikipedia calls shens. The last USS May flower was build in 1897, and didn't sink (but was lit on fire).

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: So
Do you have ANY f-ing clue how useful having the "soft power" of the ability to put a humanitain hospital and food distribution center in any disaster zone in any port in the world in a few days is? How about the hard power of being able to land marines on any beach in the world in a few weeks? How about the deterrent value of submarines that can nuke any target on the planet even if the entire US was glassed? How about the ability to stop an enemy from doing the same thing? How about the ability to do an airstrike almost anywhere without needing friendly airbases nearby? How about the value of having cruisers and destroyers to partol the waters incase of an actual naval invasion.

What the fuck were you thinking. The navy may be the best value in the military.

i got pwned

at least you're man enough to admit it

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD

Freedom isn't cheap.

:music:Freedom isn't free
It costs folks like you and me
And if we don't all chip in
We'll never pay that bill
Freedom isn't free
No, there's a hefty in' fee.
And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five
Who will?:music:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Having just got out I was seriously considering debating this.
The I realized the OP doesnt need a debate, he needs the kind of information that can only be understood with experience.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Having just got out I was seriously considering debating this.
The I realized the OP doesnt need a debate, he needs the kind of information that can only be understood with experience.

I think a few history books would serve well.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
Originally posted by: So
Do you have ANY f-ing clue how useful having the "soft power" of the ability to put a humanitain hospital and food distribution center in any disaster zone in any port in the world in a few days is? How about the hard power of being able to land marines on any beach in the world in a few weeks? How about the deterrent value of submarines that can nuke any target on the planet even if the entire US was glassed? How about the ability to stop an enemy from doing the same thing? How about the ability to do an airstrike almost anywhere without needing friendly airbases nearby? How about the value of having cruisers and destroyers to partol the waters incase of an actual naval invasion.

What the fuck were you thinking. The navy may be the best value in the military.

Haha, sucker took the troll bait.

shut up.