Is Yogurt really healthy for you?

TwoMix

Aug 1, 2001
Just had a columbo light strawberry yogurt. 120cal, 0 fat ca, 320 mg sodium, 7g protein. It has high fructsose corn syrup, which i read somewhere was evil!
Basically 120 cal for something that does not make me full at all. is this really good for me?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It has calcium and crap too. That is really a pretty high sodium amount though if you crank that down your throat a lot.

Dragon365

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2002
It's not the worst thing you could be eating, that's for sure. I like it, it is fairly healthy.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: TwoMix
It has high fructsose corn syrup, which i read somewhere was evil!

You read correctly. Why have yogurt which is supposed to be a healthy snack when its laced with insulin-overloading sweetener? Might as well just eat a jelly donut.

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
The bacteria found in yogurt is very good for your digestive tract. If you have been on antibiotics recently then you should eat it (or buy the active cultures to get a megadose of them)

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you can, just buy plain yogurt which usually lacks the sweetener (and also tastes pretty bitter). You get used to it after a while, or just add some sweetener on your own. Personally I prefer Cottage Cheese, very high in protein with a lower amount of carbs and just a touch of fat. Also tastes kinda bitter plain, but you can add other stuff into it to make it taste better. My favorite is the sugar-free Davinci syrups. For breakfast I frequently have a bowl of cottage cheese with blueberries and pecans, and a bit of sugar-free Vanilla davinci syrup (sweetened with splenda). Very good!

Plain yogurt with a bit of fruit preserves is good. You could also try sprinking some Equal on it.

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Dragon365
It's not the worst thing you could be eating, that's for sure. I like it, it is fairly healthy.

yeah its better than alot of stuff

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
It depends on how you're eating it. If you're eating it along with a balanced meal and need some calcium and a little extra protein sure it's great. But if you're eating 4 of them as a replacement for a meal it's pretty crappy.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: TwoMix
Just had a columbo light strawberry yogurt. 120cal, 0 fat ca, 320 mg sodium, 7g protein. It has high fructsose corn syrup, which i read somewhere was evil!
Basically 120 cal for something that does not make me full at all. is this really good for me?

Calories are not bad. Your yogurt is more of a dessert than anything else.