is "word" a correct greeting?

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
i dont think so. but one of my friends always im's me and says "word."

annoying, eh?

I have heard people use it as a term to signify agreement, but never as a greeting.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
It's an online terminology that will one day be in the nerd book dictionary for the online newbies.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
word. short for word up. similar to what's up. sounds like a very basic and oversimplified form of a greeting.

Edit: actually I don't think word up is similar to what's up... but more along the lines of "whats the word on the street?". It all originates from asking someone "Whats up". Which I see a lot of people saying.

So... I vote yes.

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
no, just like "sup" is not a proper greeting...

i hate when people im me and go "sup"...annoys me to no end. bah.

sup is like...second greeting..after "hi, hey, hello, or yo"... it doesn't come first!

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
sup is exactly the same as greeting someone with what's up. does that annoy you too?

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: nativesunshine
no, just like "sup" is not a proper greeting...

i hate when people im me and go "sup"...annoys me to no end. bah.

sup is like...second greeting..after "hi, hey, hello, or yo"... it doesn't come first!

So does that make, "yo, yo, sup" okay? :)

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
well wassup wassup? just means hey yo , they really dont want to know whats up

I say "sup yo?" sometimes because it sounds funny :)

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
good replies. as far as i'm concerned, "word" is a sign of agreement.. "word up" can be a greeting.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
It's an online terminology that will one day be in the nerd book dictionary for the online newbies.
BS. It was in original day to day use as a term of agreement, greeting, etc long before it made it onto the web.

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
BS. It was in original day to day use as a term of agreement, greeting, etc long before it made it onto the web.

true.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
If you wouldn't use it in a job interview or with your boss, don't use it at all.

ZV