Is WinDVD 3.0 compatible with WinXP Pro?

Shuelessjo

Nov 28, 2001
And also will I get 5.1 output with WInDVD 3.0? I have an Audigy and DTT2500 5.1 Digital speakers.

In case it matters I have a Pioneer 106s DVD player.

Thanks
Joseph

Shuelessjo

Nov 28, 2001
I might be wrong, but they make the program PowerDVD, not WinDVD. I own WinDVD. But thanks for answering my post though.

Joseph

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
I couldn't get my copy of WinDVD 3.0 to work with XP Pro. I guess it's supposed to but all I could get was a blank screen...

I got a copy of PowerDVD 4XP (or whatever they are calling the latest version of that) and it works well.

Shuelessjo

Nov 28, 2001
Workin'

Do you have a 5.1 speaker system with your PowerDVD 4.0 setup? If so, how well does the D.D. 5.1 output work? Or does it work at all under XP Pro?

Joseph

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000

<< Do you have a 5.1 speaker system with your PowerDVD 4.0 setup? >>

No.

<< Or does it work at all under XP Pro? >>

It's supposed to work, the program was written for XP - but that's just what they say on their web site.

It's a huge improvement over PowerDVD 2.5x, at any rate. PowerDVD 3 is supposed to work under XP with a patch from Cyberlink, however version 4 was designed for XP.

edit: BTW, PowerDVD 4 has even more features than WinDVD. Saying it is full-featured is an understatement!

hanzer1011

Jan 11, 2002
I also have the dtt 2500 on an audigy card and winxp pro. I cannot get ac3 sound to output to the decoder through powerdvd and have read other posts from people with similar problems getting the ac3 signal to output. I sent a problem to cyberlink about it (since I use power dvd) and am waiting for a response. Anybody know a tech support number for cyberlink as they do not list one anywhere I have looked?

NeoMadHatter

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2000
johntwang.com
yes, windvd 3 works in xp. at least it does for me. i have powerdvd 4 xp, windvd3, ati dvd, and windows media player. they all play dvds. windvd is softer in volume for me. it's not as low with voices for some reason on 5.1 speakers setup. the powerdvd 4 XP is doing a good job for me in sound and everything else. but i'm not using the digital out. if you do, you have to set the sound output to "USE SPDIF" and it should do the AC-3 out for you. and yes, you should get 5.1 out of either windvd3 or powerdvd 4 XP. you can check out my system in the sig if you think it makes a difference.

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
edit: BTW, PowerDVD 4 has even more features than WinDVD.

huh? does it have dts decoding? subchannel decoding..multispeed playback with normal sound? i tend to speed up to 1.5-2.0x playback quite often now:) guess i'm impatient heh

hanzer1011

Jan 11, 2002
I upgraded from Powerdvd 3.x to 4.x and it solved everything. Also windvd 3.x works fine in XP, I tried the demo for that too.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
When I got XP Pro, I was using WinDVD 3.0. As soon as XP was up an running, I kept getting a very annoying XP popup advising me that there was a WinDVD 3.0 patch available to make it fully XP compatible. It could be downloaded and installed or installed on line. I tried several times both ways, but it always terminated because it could not find my WinDVD program. (The stupid installation routine was written for C drive only!!!)

So, after a few days of being annoyed by that popup message, I uninstalled WinDVD, and bought PowerDVD 4.0 - made for XP. That solved all the problems and it works better than WinDVD did in the first place. At least on my three machines.

I conclude that a lot depends on what video card you use and your sound system. Once size does not fit all. Use what works best in your machine.