Is White Paint Racist?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Unfortunately, it's a real life trend. At least 80% of home buyers treat houses as an investment. Plain, straight and, boring seems to be what buyers look for. Offending the least amount of people has become the new religion. Living is what you do After you retire.
I prefer white kitchens as more light is more better for working. Dark kitchen says "alcoholics live here". Prove me wrong.

Don't get me started on granite counter tops, stupidest fad ever.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I prefer white kitchens as more light is more better for working. Dark kitchen says "alcoholics live here". Prove me wrong.

Granite counter-top is a fad? They've been pretty standard since the 90's...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm not quite understanding this take, what is your issue with granite?
It's hard enough to scratch knifes, it's loud, and you can spill a quart of spaghetti sauce on it and not notice. It's a poor choice for countertops. Mausoleum walls? Monumental sculptures of Ironwing? Sure, but not countertops.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
It's hard enough to scratch knifes, it's loud, and you can spill a quart of spaghetti sauce on it and not notice. It's a poor choice for countertops. Mausoleum walls? Monumental sculptures of Ironwing? Sure, but not countertops.

you like racist white Formica counter tops don't you?

sherwin williams west highland white is our white of choice in the last 3 houses. we have grey, blue, yellow, and soon green walls. its like a GD pack of skittles in here. all the trim is white though.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, sorry still not getting that take. It's durable, it looks good and it's easy to clean. I'll take that over most anything else you put on your counter tops. What is your preferred choice for a home kitchen?

jameny5

Aug 7, 2018
Yea, I really don't like white. It's boring.
I hate the color on sheet rock walls. I see a lot of apartments with that color and not a lot of paintings or any at all on their walls. It is a boring color. I can see white being on cabinets in the kitchen and the bathroom sink and tub. My last Apt the color on my walls was light green and the one I live now is a light yellow.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Yeah, sorry still not getting that take. It's durable, it looks good and it's easy to clean. I'll take that over most anything else you put on your counter tops. What is your preferred choice for a home kitchen?

Quartz is better. I'd pick Formica over granite any day.

Reactions: pcgeek11

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004

You act like the color choice is binary. You can't blame the color of the kitchen for bad lighting. Why would anyone use a knife directly on granite countertops? Loud? Kitchens are loud by nature. Hides spaghetti sauce, just means you're lazy at wiping down counters. The only thing I have against granite countertops is the cost. I've also seen a ton of crappy kitchens where granite was used just so the builder could charge a premium.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
At Lowes, I buy Olympic One paints. A little known fact is you can select swatches from different companies and mix/match paints/colors. Your finished colors may differ slightly, but it works pretty well since most base colors are fairly similar.

Since I'm a Lowe's shopper more, I typically use Olympic One paints and Sherwin Williams colors.

I recommend you checking all colors at Home Depot and seeing what options you have for Eggshell. Those are usually the best "off white" colors if you're going for cream.

Reactions: jameny5