Is voltage the only way to predict CPU Heat?

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
So I've been playing around with my good old trusty i7 2600K and have no idea why my CPU runs hotter than nearly all the data I've seen online. At 4.3 GHZ my voltage under load is 1.288 according to CPUz, yet my temps hover in the high 70's/lower 80's in Intel Burn Test and in Prime under the maximum heat test.. Up to 85c...

Once I up the voltage to the 1.325 range (using offset mode and llc) to get to 4.5GHZ, those numbers become prohibitive, getting in the mid 90's and close to the max temp of 98c before the CPU throttles down. I've seen people push their voltage to nearly 1.4 on air with lower temps.

So my question basically is related to voltage. All things being equal, do different chips generate more heat at the exact same voltage? I'm on a Hyper 212+ and have reapplied Artic Silver, purchased a different fan and the results have been the same.

What other variables could cause such high temepratures? I'm forced to run at 4.3 when I know the CPU can handle 4.5 at a decent voltage but I'm really worried about the temps.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Sure, voltage is the source of heat. But good cooling is meant to deal with it.

Couple of variables:

1. Case airflow. Good air cooling requires good, cool intake airflow and efficient exhaust. How is the case intake/exhaust flow setup? Is the cooler intake fan receiving a direct case intake flow?

2. The 212 was a good value cooler for moderate OC. But, it was never a great choice for more extreme air overclocks.

Have a similar system - 2700k at 4.6 with 1.27V (offset voltage). Uses a D14 with 2x Noc A14, and 2x 140mm intake fans in a modified for airflow case. The intake temp at the cooler is 2c above room ambient, 20c. In IBT it peaks at 52c.

2b. QA was never stellar on the 212. Have used a couple that had mating issues with the IHS that resulted in poor overclock temps. With the limited fin area (it's a small cooler in my big air world), the 212 doesn't cope well with high ambient temps and a hot chip.

3. Silicon lottery. Which isn't fair, because the rule was with SandyB, everyone wins!

Might consider replacing the 212 with a modern good value cooler like the Scythe Fuma or Ninja 4, Thermalright Macho Direct or finding a used D14/D15, Phanteks tc14pe. And using a more modern TIM that doesn't have a 200 hour curing time. ;-)

If you don't want to spend any money...well.. you can spend a little money for big gains. ;-)

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Those temps seem high for a 2600K@4.5. Check your thermal paste. When was it applied? 5 years ago or something? It degrades and needs replacing after several years in some cases.