Is video card required for HTPC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
That should be doing a pretty good job. I mean, can you do better? Yes, a nice AMD or Nvidia card doing post-processing can look better. But by default that should look pretty good with the right software.

is this a gpu power recommendation? (as it needs more power for software post processing)
or
is this a gpu hardware recommendation? (as a dedicated gpu is simple better than igpu by design)

same as OP.
mkv video are a little grainy (windows media player + k-lite codec via HDMI).

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
is this a gpu power recommendation? (as it needs more power for software post processing)
or
is this a gpu hardware recommendation? (as a dedicated gpu is simple better than igpu by design)

Both.

Nvidia and AMD GPUs are better than Intel GPUs for decoding by design and a more powerful GPU can get better results.

For the first part-Intel simply doesn't care about GPUs. The only reason they are as good as they are is because Apple pushed them to do better for the retina Macbooks. Their decoding is worse than everyone else and they don't care because it is good enough to check the box. There is a reason I recommend only using CPU decoding on a Chromebox- it is more compatible! Heck until Ivy Intel couldn't even do 24p right.

On the second part, MadVR kinda changed the game. It takes the power of the GPU and uses it in a way that can really change picture quality. For some of the best filters you really need a beefy GPU-like I would have a gaming GPU if I was upscaling to 4K. But once configured correctly nothing can beat it.

Your setup is about a decade old. Here is a good guide to get you into the modern era of MadVR:

http://www.ezoden.com/684/tutorial-htpc

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
the only up scaling would be some older 640x480p movie to 1080p. no 4k up scale yet.

htpc specs are

G1610 w/ HD IVB
H67
4GB (2x2GB)
500GB spinner
Win7 x64

do have a i3-2130 and 560ti sitting around.
however that does not sound like it is enough hardware to jump into the rabbit hole for MadVR.

btw what are the minimum hardware requirements for proper MadVR playback? for 1080p display (now)? for 4k display (future)?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
do have a i3-2130 and 560ti sitting around.
however that does not sound like it is enough hardware to jump into the rabbit hole for MadVR.

I don't think a GTX560Ti would be a good HTPC GPU... too hot, too loud under load. I have one, too... and considered it for a time... but I don't think it would be a good choice.

btw what are the minimum hardware requirements for proper MadVR playback? for 1080p display (now)?

I have the same question... GTX760? Moar?!?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I will be honest, I am not as familiar with MadVR as I am Kodi. For Kodi use anything as good or better than a GT 430 will play just about any 1080p file. I have seen a properly configured 4K MadVR rig that had a GTX 660 and pretty much used all the power of that GPU, so I wouldn't recommend any less than that for a 4K setup. For 1080p and Mad VR I know that the best Intel GPUs can't cut it with the coolest filters, so that puts us at the GTX 550 Ti power level.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I'm just very curious about the whole 4K thing... and really wonder if it will last a) due to the hardware requirements and b) the media companies actually putting out 4K source material.

Anyone remember Laser Disc?