Is Vader Going to Have to Choke a Wookie?

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Kinda worried about this game. Seems like every time they try to make a really story driven/close ended Star Wars game it flops (such as the EP 1,2, and 3 games) but when it's more open ended it works well (Jedi Knight, Jedi Academy, KOTOR).

Hopefully they'll get this one right.

R Nilla

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2006
Originally posted by: kabob983
Kinda worried about this game. Seems like every time they try to make a really story driven/close ended Star Wars game it flops (such as the EP 1,2, and 3 games) but when it's more open ended it works well (Jedi Knight, Jedi Academy, KOTOR).

I think the main problem with the games you mentioned as flops is that they are games based off of movies that were released around the same time. Movie-based (or even TV-based) games that are released in tandem with the movie off of which they are based are almost always garbage. They're usually just part of the shameless merchandising cash grab.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: R Nilla

I think the main problem with the games you mentioned as flops is that they are games based off of movies that were released around the same time. Movie-based (or even TV-based) games that are released in tandem with the movie off of which they are based are almost always garbage. They're usually just part of the shameless merchandising cash grab.

I agree with Nilla. The Star Wars games that were developed independent of the movies are the ones that have really shined...not all of them...but they have had better success.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004

Good point.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

:thumbsup:

Out of all the consistencies out there when it comes to identifying a shitty game, I would say this one ranks #1 in my list. If not #1, then it is at least in my top 3.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Xavier434

Out of all the consistencies out there when it comes to identifying a shitty game, I would say this one ranks #1 in my list. If not #1, then it is at least in my top 3.

I can't think of a single game that was a solid tie in from a movie/TV show marketing. They are nothing more than shelf bait for parents/grandparents to buy for kids simply because it says "Shrek/Spiderman/Spongebob/whatever" on it.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: vi edit
Originally posted by: Xavier434

I can't think of a single game that was a solid tie in from a movie/TV show marketing. They are nothing more than shelf bait for parents/grandparents to buy for kids simply because it says "Shrek/Spiderman/Spongebob/whatever" on it.

Spider-Man 1 & 2 are probably the closest. More the exception than the rule though. Spider-Man 3 could have been really good too if they had had a couple of more months to polish the game.

My son and I actually enjoyed Spider-Man: Friend or Foe. It wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it is a good co-op fighter for younger kids.

What's funny is the number of reverse tie-ins (show/movie based off a game) that are just as bad. :)

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Baked
WTF, Vader had an apprentice?

The story for Star Wars: Force Unleashed is set between Episodes III & IV. In that time, Vader took a secret apprentice to experiment on to see how far Force powers could be pushed while also hunting down any Jedi that were still alive.

The secret apprentice bit isn't anything new. The Emperor had a secret apprentice/assassin as well in the Star Wars books in the early 90s (Mara Jade).

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy

The story for Star Wars: Force Unleashed is set between Episodes III & IV. In that time, Vader took a secret apprentice to experiment on to see how far Force powers could be pushed while also hunting down any Jedi that were still alive.

The secret apprentice bit isn't anything new. The Emperor had a secret apprentice/assassin as well in the Star Wars books in the early 90s (Mara Jade).

Sure, but it was usually the Sith lord that had the apprentice. In SW:TFU, the Sith lord's apprentice has an apprentice. Kind of silly since Vader just became an apprentice himself. WTF does he need an apprentice?

EDIT: I should add that those are more rhetorical questions. I could care less. I'll be double dipping on this title; Wii60 owner here.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
EDIT: I should add that those are more rhetorical questions. I could care less. I'll be double dipping on this title; Wii60 owner here.

Oh yeah...speaking of which, here is a video showing off the special features of the Wii, PS2, DS and PSP versions of SW:TFU.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

Sure, but it was usually the Sith lord that had the apprentice. In SW:TFU, the Sith lord's apprentice has an apprentice. Kind of silly since Vader just became an apprentice himself. WTF does he need an apprentice?

If you want to get technical, there are plenty who call him "Lord Vader" throughout the original movies :p

Besides, there are no set rules that have to be followed - as a Jedi, Anikan wasn't supposed to fall in love / have sex / get married, but he obviously did all of those things.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Well in the Sith world, it's the apprentice's goal to overthrow the master. An apprentice obtaining an apprentice for the task of overthrowing their master isn't very far fetched.

The thing that bothers me a little is they said they worked with lucas on a story line that bridges III and IV. The live-action star wars series is supposed to take place between that time as well... Want to bet this is a tie-in in the end? Series is supposed to be currently filming...

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: bearxor
Well in the Sith world, it's the apprentice's goal to overthrow the master. An apprentice obtaining an apprentice for the task of overthrowing their master isn't very far fetched.

The thing that bothers me a little is they said they worked with lucas on a story line that bridges III and IV. The live-action star wars series is supposed to take place between that time as well... Want to bet this is a tie-in in the end? Series is supposed to be currently filming...

Maybe, but he is "secret" after all.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I learned not to exalt (is that the word I am looking for?) Star Wars anything. Whether it's a game, book, whatever. It's a fluid world where it's non canonical. I just take it for what it is. Sometimes I ignore things, sometimes I like them. (The comics where Luke went dark is BS to me, but oh well.)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

Oh yeah...speaking of which, here is a video showing off the special features of the Wii, PS2, DS and PSP versions of SW:TFU.
The PS2 is truly the poster child for how well you can leverage the hardware in a console. <Vader>Most Impressive!</>

Far Fetched? What the hell do you guys think EP:5&6 where all about? Palpatine and Anakin where both trying to get Luke to co-op with them against the other. Palpatine thought he could delay his inevitable destruction either by Luke, or at the hands of his apprentice, by replacing Vader with his son. Vader knew Luke was the key to laying the beatdown on Palpatine and becoming the Sith master/emperor with his son as his apprentice and eventual successor through usurpation.

JorynnRace

Sep 7, 2007
Originally posted by: Whitecloak
I bent my wookie.

HAHAHA that is my favorite line from the Simpsons ever. Classic.

Anyways.. on topic...

I am a firm believer that the BEST Star Wars games are Expanded Universe games. KOTOR, Shadows of the Empire (anyone remember that gem?), and the entire Jedi Knight Series (+ Dark Forces... heck Kyle Katarn was so popular that he's even in a lot of the EU books) are perfect examples.

Yeah there have been some pretty decent movie tie-in games, or games that take place during or around the movies (Like Rogue Squadron, and Republic Commando), but if I have to play on Hoth one more time... I may have to kill something.

I say bring on the crazier EU stuff, like the whole Yuuzhan Vong war. As if that wouldn't make a good KOTOR-ish or Jedi Academy type game.

I think the Force Unleased is going to be awsome though.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
Far Fetched? What the hell do you guys think EP:5&6 where all about? Palpatine and Anakin where both trying to get Luke to co-op with them against the other. Palpatine thought he could delay his inevitable destruction either by Luke, or at the hands of his apprentice, by replacing Vader with his son. Vader knew Luke was the key to laying the beatdown on Palpatine and becoming the Sith master/emperor with his son as his apprentice and eventual successor through usurpation.

Umm... yeah... that's why I said it ISN'T very far fetched.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER

Umm... yeah... that's why I said it ISN'T very far fetched.
No shat? ;) I got that, but why qualify your remark that way then? Had you definitively answered the question, I wouldn't have bothered doing so. Your reply reads as speculative, that room for conjecture is still present. My response was to point out that, given the mythos established in the original 3 films, it was more obtuse than rhetorical, to ask the question about an apprentice having an apprentice. :evil: