Is Universal Health Care dead?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I am 100 percent sure the Supreme Court will decide at least some of the new UHC law is unconstitutional. Even if it were clearly Ok, we have seen the Republicans on the court act outrageously in ruling for the Republican agenda.

Once even part of the law is unconstitutional there is now way Congress will fix it after the Republicans take the House.

And if the Supreme Court doesn't find it unconstitutional I am 100 percent sure the Republicans will shut down government like they did under Clinton, but this time they will keep it shut no matter what until they get there way. No funding means no UHC.

bye bye, UHC. We barely knew you.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
lol@thinking the new law is UHC or anywhere near it

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
lol it's the left trying to force everyone to get UHC and you call it a "Republican agenda" to not have something.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I am 100 percent sure the Supreme Court will decide at least some of the new UHC law is unconstitutional. Even if it were clearly Ok, we have seen the Republicans on the court act outrageously in ruling for the Republican agenda.

Now THAT is funny.

But cheer up Techs -- your pals, the Democrats, will twist it as being constitutional due to the commerce clause and maybe they'll dupe the court.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
A state can force me to buy something; The federal government can tax me and then buy something. But the feds can't force me to buy something, it isn't within their jurisdiction or power.

They should have just taxed people an amount that would 'match' the price of the plan they chose; that would be legal... but it has to be a tax, it can't be forced-purchase.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
A state can force me to buy something; The federal government can tax me and then buy something. But the feds can't force me to buy something, it isn't within their jurisdiction or power.

They should have just taxed people an amount that would 'match' the price of the plan they chose; that would be legal... but it has to be a tax, it can't be forced-purchase.

lol separate but equal

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
UHC is an idea, and as an idea it can't be killed. Ideas merely compete with other ideas, and yesterdays radical, often becomes tommows accepted idea, and later into accepted conservative dogma as new realities and ideas come into being.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Of course it isn't dead. It is coming in the near future.

Adding 30 million new people to the insurance rolls is clearly not going to bring down costs.

Obamacare was designed to intentionally drive up costs so that they could use the increase in costs as an excuse to try and pass UHC.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
This is not UHC. But if it's repealed, and the healthcare system is still a clusterfvck, the next reforms may very well be.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
GOP is going to have to put up or shut up on healthcare. If they defund it, they'll have to take responsibility for breaking it and any hardships that causes. If they don't their idiot base will riot.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
GOP is going to have to put up or shut up on healthcare. If they defund it, they'll have to take responsibility for breaking it and any hardships that causes. If they don't their idiot base will riot.

It was passed intentionally broken.
The goal was to drive up costs so there wouldn't be any choice buy UHC.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
techs, sounds like your are already conceding the elections in a couple weeks.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
it will be sliced diced and unfunded. Can't break what's already broken and untenable.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Y'all are assuming that Repubs are going to gain control of both houses. That is unlikely. As I've said before, both parties are bought and paid for.

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
Y'all are assuming that Repubs are going to gain control of both houses. That is unlikely. As I've said before, both parties are bought and paid for.

lots of early polls show that the repubs will be taking back the house.

not sure where u are getting your data from

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
lots of early polls show that the repubs will be taking back the house.

not sure where u are getting your data from

you have to have control of both house and senate to get anything done. That is what I was trying to say.

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Im more concerned with the courts and/or that republicans will find issues with the roaming public clinics? Isnt THAT UHC (of a kind)? People waiting in lines for hours/days to see a doctor free, and avoid the local hospital ER (and the wrath of healthcare industry's billing department). Surely that will become a sore spot in the republican pro healthcare agenda. No??? If they can fight against UHC, isnt the logic to then fight against free roaming healthcare? Count on it !!!

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

Not really, remember Republicans don't necessarily pretend to be able to fix problems with government regulation. If anything the Republican position would probably be to deregulate, but Obama wouldn't let that happen.

techs, sounds like your are already conceding the elections in a couple weeks.

It certainly looks like a lot of partisan Democrats are freaking out around the country and on this board.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
It was dead during Hillary's reign in the White House, and it is dead now.

-John