Is tjiuana really that bad?

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Me and 6 of my friends (22 years old) are doing a west coast road trip and thinking about going to mexico at night while we are in San Diego. A bunch of people have said that it is incredibly dangerous on account of the drug cartels, but I'm not sure what to believe.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
They're right. There are plenty of things to do besides looking like a bunch of clueless americans, getting kidnapped and ransomed for money or just beheaded like they did to some poor bastard, what, last week the video was released?

But, whatever, have a good time or something!

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I've been there once. Lived to tell about it. I won't be going back other than the remote possibility of driving thru on my way to Rosarito or Ensenada.

Jesusthewererabbit

Mar 20, 2008
You do NOT want to go to a border town right now. Hell, even the Mexicans around here won't go to Juarez any more and that used to be a regular weekend trip.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
I went with 4 others during the 2008 summer. We only went for the day and high-tailed it before sunset.
It wasn't too bad, mostly clean and people are nice. We stayed most of the time on Revolucion. We stopped near the arches to watch some band play and there was a festival. We took a bus and tax a bit further to visit a fitness club that had cheap massages and beer.
Almost everyone speaks english but like i said, high tail at sunset.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I went with 4 others during the 2008 summer. We only went for the day and high-tailed it before sunset.
It wasn't too bad, mostly clean and people are nice. We stayed most of the time on Revolucion. We stopped near the arches to watch some band play and there was a festival. We took a bus and tax a bit further to visit a fitness club that had cheap massages and beer.
Almost everyone speaks english but like i said, high tail at sunset.

That was 2 years ago.

Shit's fo' real right now, yo.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
What a coincidence, I was just planning on going down there with a mexican friend this weekend.

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
As someone that lives in socal and goes to work in clinics regularly in Mexico....

Don't even think about it, its not somewhere you want to be right now

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Go.

Stick to Revolucion street. As soon as the sun starts to set - about 7pm. Get out.

Stay with your friends, do not get hammered. Drink beer or soda only. If a vendor offers to pour you a beer in a cup decline, no alcohol in public or immediate fine/bribe will occur by the police.

Hit a strip club or 3. Go to a brothel, look around and enjoy your time in the shithole it is. Everything the stores sell is overpriced, all the goods they sell are crap.

Great food can be had & the strip clubs allow you to touch, just make sure you tip and do not act a fool.

You need a passport to corss the border now!

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I stayed out all night at the clubs back in 1997. I'd never do that now. I wouldn't even go there during the daytime now. It was pretty shtty back then as well.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Tijuana is fine... so is Ciudad Juárez ... ignore the naysayers.. you'll have fun.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
It's a shithole don't even bother. What's wrong with Inglewood, Compton, east LA or watts? They speak English at least, sorta.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Mexico isn't Disneyland. Shit happens enough with six guys in their 20's let alone putting them in a different country with crooked police and dangerous drug cartels. You guys are probably planning on drinking and partying down there, which is probably the worst thing you could do down there right now (young people whose parents probably have money, drinking, late at night, sketchy areas of the city, drinking, etc).

Just have fun in the San Diego Gaslamp district instead.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Tijuana can't be that bad.... there's no more Marines allowed to spoil the fun:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2009-01-21-camp_N.htm

Tijuana off-limits to U.S. Marines

LOS ANGELES — For tens of thousands of U.S. Marines in Southern California, new orders from the brass amount to: Baghdad si, Tijuana no.

Citing a wave of violence and murder in Mexico, the commanding officer of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force based at Camp Pendleton has made the popular military "R&R" destinations of Tijuana and nearby beaches effectively off-limits for his Marines.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
How manyi articles do you see about dumbasses getting in trouble in Tijuana?

My high school youth group used to do a mission in the slums. Not the safest thing in the world but maybe 1 time in 10 we had a legitimate threat.

Don't be stupid and wander into unpopulated areas and you'll be fine. Bring extra cash for police bribes (you WILL be pulled over with US plates) and you'll get along no problem.

Disclaimer: I haven't personally been to Tijuana in 8 years.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
TJ's fun as hell, drinking is super cheap, just go with somebody who knows it so you can eat somewhere good. I spent a few days in a TJ jail years ago, that wasn't fun really. But everything else about TJ is great. Don't stay past dark and don't wander around. The key is to go with somebody familar with it. A bunch of n00bs all going together is not a great idea. As for taking money to bribe the police. The only time I had to pay them money was when I was trying to bring back some illegal ass fireworks. Since I was breaking a law, I kind of deserved to be in a position where I had to pay them off to keep from getting locked up.

Sure it's not 100% safe there right now, but if you go the border and watch there's always a huge line of Americans going into TJ, last time I went I had to wait almost an hour to get across the border. Will be going next weekend, it'll be pretty crowded, but less so than normal because of the people who are scared and playing it safe. Which is fine by me, that just means more 3 for 1 Margaritas for me.

Last edited:

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I live in San Diego. Grew up in one of the rougher parts of town. I don't go to TJ. Went once, the bar we went to blew out of control due to a gang issue, so we booked it. TJ is over rated. Head to ensenada if you have the time instead.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I've been there once. Lived to tell about it. I won't be going back other than the remote possibility of driving thru on my way to Rosarito or Ensenada.

Exactly...there is absolutely no reason to be in Tijuana...especially not at night. The only reason to be in Tijuana is purely to drive through on the way South. With the tension the way it is right now in Mexico...I don't see any reason to head that way at all.

I used to take a trip down to the Sea of Cortez every summer with some friends to go to some small fishing villages and just chill out with the locals. We haven't done it for over 2 years now.