Is Tivo dead?

thespeakerbox

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2004
I haven't heard much about tivo lately with every cable company coming out with DVR? In your opinion, is TIVO dead, or going to die pretty soon?

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Tivo just came out with an HD dual tuner DVR for $300. They have an ongoing deal with comcast. They have a partnership with amazon and possibly an upcoming one with netflix. They aren't doing as well as they were several years ago but they are doing alright.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
There's also a possibility that they will be working with DirecTV again once it changes ownership.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I loved tivo and completely hate and loathe my cable company's dvr (wtf, I can't even access shows recorded on it when my cable is down :|)... but my cable dvr is free, whereas the tivo box requires a substantial chunk of change just to buy followed by required monthly payments just to be able to use it.

I wish more cable companies would rent out tivos instead of their own craptastic dvrs.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
I loved tivo and completely hate and loathe my cable company's dvr (wtf, I can't even access shows recorded on it when my cable is down :|)... but my cable dvr is free, whereas the tivo box requires a substantial chunk of change just to buy followed by required monthly payments just to be able to use it.

I wish more cable companies would rent out tivos instead of their own craptastic dvrs.

my parents DVR (a motorola cable box) worked great. We also didn't have cable go down, unless the entire city was in a black out, then it took awhile to come back online (think back to East Coast Power Grid failure, last time our cable went out).

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Lifetime Tivo FTW. Now hopefully this damn thing keeps working for years to come.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: thespeakerbox
I haven't heard much about tivo lately with every cable company coming out with DVR? In your opinion, is TIVO dead, or going to die pretty soon?

I have used Comcast's SA 8300 HD DVR and am currently using DirecTVs HD DVR, a DirecTV standard def DVR and a DirecTV TIVO. I absolutely hated the Comcast DVR, and am not particularly fond of the 2 DirecTV non TIVO units. They have added a couple of nive features that my TIVO box does not have but the response and ease of use of the TIVO blows away any of the cable or DirecTV boxes in my opinion. I am keeping my fingers crossed that DirecTV re-establishes their relationship with TIVO. I did receive a card from DirecTV that they will be rolling out new features for the TIVO boxes in January so there is some hope.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: destrekor

my parents DVR (a motorola cable box) worked great. We also didn't have cable go down, unless the entire city was in a black out, then it took awhile to come back online (think back to East Coast Power Grid failure, last time our cable went out).

cablevision knocked out my cable on monday afternoon :( it's still down.

you'd think it'd be a great opportunity to catch up on shows that I've got on my dvr but haven't gotten around to watching yet, but I'm sol.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I got ATT U-verse recently. Their DVR sucks. Tivo doesn't work well with their cable box. I'm leaning towards canceling u-verse just to get back to my precious Tivo.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
Lifetime Tivo FTW. Now hopefully this damn thing keeps working for years to come.

I'm guessing you have the toshiba 400 something. If so have you made a image of your hard drive? If so, how'd you do it?

GoatMonkey

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
I'm using Beyond TV. It's really nice, and no monthly fee. I'm just hoping that some HD cablecard tuners become available sometime soon.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and I think TiVo will eventually be replaced by things like onDemand. That will be quite a few years before that happens though.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Originally posted by: KK

I'm guessing you have the toshiba 400 something. If so have you made a image of your hard drive? If so, how'd you do it?

My Tivo is a series 2 and I have the lifetime subscription thingy. My hard drive has died. I used the instructions here:

http://www.newreleasesvideo.co...ale-how-to/index9.html

to put in a bigger drive. When it died, I replaced it with another bigger drive. The link above has instructions for an image, and I've got my original small Tivo drive stashed away as backup #2.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I loved tivo and completely hate and loathe my cable company's dvr

X2

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Dirigible
Originally posted by: KK

My Tivo is a series 2 and I have the lifetime subscription thingy. My hard drive has died. I used the instructions here:

http://www.newreleasesvideo.co...ale-how-to/index9.html

to put in a bigger drive. When it died, I replaced it with another bigger drive. The link above has instructions for an image, and I've got my original small Tivo drive stashed away as backup #2.

cool, thanks for that site.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I think Tivo will have to change it's business model to survive. They've already started doing that, working with amazon etc.

Ultimately, I hope Tivo can make deals with the cable co's and Directv again so we don't have to deal with their crappy boxes. The user interface and features for tivo boxes really are > *.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
The nice thing about series 1 tivos is that you can stream video from them to your computer and do other fancy things. Series 2 locked this down a bit. But in general tivos are fun to hack, unless you end up having to re-image it multiple times due to weird script settings you implemented, like I did with my series 1.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I love my TiVo2. No, it is not dead. I can share stuff from my TiVo with other TiVos very easily, a feature not implemented in DVRs. TiVo To Go and TiVo server are also awesome.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
It was $4-5 with direct tv.. I think its around $12 for a standalone.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
best deal now is the 3 yr/$299 offer

I'm so tempted to buy a TiVo HD since CostCo has it for $279 but that's nearly $600 ouch!