is this wrong?

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Using my record what I hear function on my audio card...then accidentally clicking it while watching music videos on youtube, and then accidentally hitting export as mp3? and then accidentally exporting it to my mp3 player? And then accidentally hitting play?

Theoretically speaking of course

Edit *I should have been more specific. I'm asking if this is legal or illegal. Just came to mind since I frequently use "record what you hear" function to sample sound effects from movies to spice of some video games that I play. Even though its a horrible concept I wonder what the legality is.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
lol, It's not like it would be practical anyway. I mean the sound quality would sound atrocious.

I'm talking from a legal perspective. the sound is already stored on my computer from streaming it on youtube, and that is not illegal.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Yes.

Download it as a high-quality FLV (&fmt=18). Then get the FLV plugin for Virtualdub.

Then use Virtualdub to strip out the audio, which should be MP3.

No quality loss.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: rudeguy
sounds like some shitty sound quality.

seriously. im hardly an audiophile but i wouldnt even consider listening to that. hell, if you want to pirate some music, youd think hed be clever enough to get decent rips.

Mar 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Yes.

Download it as a high-quality FLV (&fmt=18). Then get the FLV plugin for Virtualdub.

No quality loss.

Except for the shitty rip done by the 10 year old kid (who has to dub every damn song ever to Naruto for some reason)?

Really, this is equivalent to recording radio on cassette in my eyes. Terrible quality, and sure it probably is illegal, but its damn near un-enforcable so its not like it matters (beyond your own persona morality). The real question is who the hell would want to?

I'm starting to understand why music today gets molested so badly, its because the RIAA figures if they make it so you wouldn't want to listen to it in the first place then you won't bother stealing it.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: xSauronx
Originally posted by: rudeguy
sounds like some shitty sound quality.

seriously. im hardly an audiophile but i wouldnt even consider listening to that. hell, if you want to pirate some music, youd think hed be clever enough to get decent rips.

No kidding.

I mean, if you're going to go through that much trouble because you're afraid of getting caught or something you might as well just give up.

What did you expect people in here to say "OMG YOU FIGURED OUT THE PERFEDCT PLANS!!! FREE MUSIC FOR EVERY1!!!!!!!!

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: darkswordsman17
Except for the shitty rip done by the 10 year old kid (who has to dub every damn song ever to Naruto for some reason)?

Really, this is equivalent to recording radio on cassette in my eyes. Terrible quality, and sure it probably is illegal, but its damn near un-enforcable so its not like it matters (beyond your own persona morality). The real question is who the hell would want to?

I'm starting to understand why music today gets molested so badly, its because the RIAA figures if they make it so you wouldn't want to listen to it in the first place then you won't bother stealing it.
Ok, fine. No further quality loss. :p

Besides, music videos are advertisement for the CDs. Getting upset about people downloading them is kind of silly. "OMG, people are voluntarily downloading our commercials!!! We need to charge them for this!"

Weird Al probably did wonders for sales of Straight Outta Lynwood by putting "White and Nerdy" on Youtube.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
What did you expect people in here to say "OMG YOU FIGURED OUT THE PERFEDCT PLANS!!! FREE MUSIC FOR EVERY1!!!!!!!!

Read through this thread and see if anyone said that this would be a good idea...

I'm asking about the legality of doing something like that you tard. I'm not familiar at all with copyright and/or cyberlaw

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: mizzou

Read through this thread and see if anyone said that this would be a good idea...

I'm asking about the legality of doing something like that you tard. I'm not familiar at all with copyright and/or cyberlaw

No, you know it's wrong and you think we are stupid. That's why you (poorly) worded the question as you did.
Theoretically.

Mar 11, 2004
Originally posted by: darkswordsman17

Ok, fine. No further quality loss. :p

Besides, music videos are advertisement for the CDs. Getting upset about people downloading them is kind of silly. "OMG, people are voluntarily downloading our commercials!!! We need to charge them for this!"

Weird Al probably did wonders for sales of Straight Outta Lynwood by putting "White and Nerdy" on Youtube.

Heh, I knew what you meant. Not sure why I did the mini-rant about the Naruto stuff (but seriously, why?).

Yeah, but of course the RIAA doesn't think like that. I'm surprised they haven't sued Youtube/Google over that yet.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
No, you know it's wrong and you think we are stupid. That's why you (poorly) worded the question as you did.
Theoretically.

Wrong doesn't = illegal

My question is fine

Is recording a live-stream public broadcast for your own personal use illegal?

I'm not asking if its stupid, because that question doesn't need to be answered =p

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Seriously, what's so hard about this one? Are you recording it to pass around? If not, then you're just fine. The sound quality is yours to deal with.

Please don't tell me you're in medical school.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Would it be wrong for the RIAA to accidentally file a lawsuit and the jury accidentally awarding them with a judgement?

Theoretically answering of course.

CrazyLazy

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2008
It's illegal but the odds of you getting caught is just about zero.

In fact even streaming youtube music videos, unless they were uploaded by the content owner, is illegal. But again, they aren't going to arrest the whole internet.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Yes.

No quality loss.

But that's too easy, and too good. :p

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: CrazyLazy
It's illegal but the odds of you getting caught is just about zero.

In fact even streaming youtube music videos, unless they were uploaded by the content owner, is illegal. But again, they aren't going to arrest the whole internet.
And as I alluded to earlier, the smart ones are using Youtube as advertising. Venus Hum: "Soul Sloshing." I saw the video on Youtube, posted there by the record label. I liked it, so I bought the song on Amazon - a Digital Rights Mismanagement free MP3 file.

Hey, look at that, free music on the Internet helped generate revenue.