is this what getting old is like?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There was a thread here years ago, maybe 15 or 20, about someone's balls getting wet when they took a shit because their ball sack had stretched out so much with age. That is when I decided getting old sucked.
My DL says I'm yadda yadda, but I don't feel all that old. I saw a PT when I tore my hamstring (fell skating on a rough patch I didn't notice because it was fresh patched black asphalt) around 4 years ago and he told me "I don't think you're going to slow down any time soon" in parting. It's kind of my credo. I'm actually feeling better than I have in years at least in terms of getting out of bed without feeling stiff. It has to be the 6 miles balls-out skate I do every day wearing a heart rate monitor. It's really the only thing I'm doing lately since my gym closed because of the pandemic. They may be at 25% capacity right now, but I haven't looked into it. I suppose I'll get back there when herd immunity kicks in... mask up people, PD, get thyself jabbed.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
My Dad (RIP) ran nearly every day until his late 70's and kept it up right through his cancer diagnosis and treatment. Made it to 86 at which point it came back and killed him.

He was obviously in pretty good shape for an old geezer but in his words everything still works but after roughly 70 everything hurts too! My Grandfather on my moms side made it to 97 and said more or less the same thing.

So by all means stay active to stay alive just don't expect to avoid suffering a bit too!

;)

Reactions: Muse

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I've gotten the mailers from the AARP gang for almost 2 decades. Fuck them. I don't like their politics.

I joined because it save me substantially on my car insurance... in the area of 30% after deducting the annual fee.

Also I get free donuts at Dunkin! :D (priorities!)

EDIT: ONE really annoying symptom of aging lol ... I dbl-post all the time and don't even notice anymore! (sorry)

:rolleyes:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My Dad (RIP) ran nearly every day until his late 70's and kept it up right through his cancer diagnosis and treatment. Made it to 86 at which point it came back and killed him.

He was obviously in pretty good shape for an old geezer but in his words everything still works but after roughly 70 everything hurts too! My Grandfather on my moms side made it to 97 and said more or less the same thing.

So by all means stay active to stay alive just don't expect to avoid suffering a bit too!

;)
I was basically a runner for most of my life starting at about 19. At 42 or so pain flared up in my left foot that made it impossible to run or even walk for the most part. I tried running again a year later and couldn't. Meantime I'd taken up distance swimming, starting at 1 mile/day and leaping to 2 miles/day a few months later, 7 days a week and not stopping until 10 years later I had the same experience, this time with left shoulder. A year later tried getting back in the pool, and the pain came back in a flash and haven't tried to swim since. Subsequent to these experiences I had foot surgery and shoulder surgery! I can walk, I can run but don't except in the Costco parking lot! I wouldn't dare try swimming like I used to, I was literally the terror of the YMCA lap pool, a feared fellow they called "snorkel man."

Reactions: Captante

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I apologize for my earlier post about how I'm not an old geezer and all that. Went for two runs over the course of the week, and on my second I started getting some hip pain. For a couple of days (and still a little bit now), my hips hurt when I sneeze or cough.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
so i ran around playing with the kiddos for 2 hours nonstop

and oof my back

i really need to drop 30 ASAP
My front yard was getting pretty out of control. I attacked it Friday, was poofed out by near dusk. Finished it yesterday morning. Shouldn't let it go so long between sprucing up sessions. Took ~6 hours total. Was surprised at my stamina, actually. After some rest after finishing up I went for my daily 6 mile balls out skate and killed it. I'm really in some great shape now having done this religiously for around 9 months... always wearing my N95, gloves and helmet. I'm getting pretty dang confident. Am working on my own "need to drop 30 ASAP." The skates help. Got no kiddos. :)