Is this type of high CPU usage normal for a FX-55@2.9?

Quick1

Dec 29, 1999
I?m ripping DVD audio files to WAV format while also converting & sending WMA files to my MP3. I used to think my FX-55@2.9 could easily handle almost anything, but I?ve been experiencing slow downs since using the WMA format for my MP3. So I checked the CPU usage in Task Mgr and it?s often constantly pegged at 95-100%. I used to rip to MP3 320kb without any lag. PC is still responsive, just a bit sluggish." Is this normal for a FX-55?

alaricljs

Golden Member
May 11, 2005
Ok, for starters WMA and MP3 are each totally separate audio compression formats. "WMA MP3 format" is wrong. So presumably you're ripping to WAV and encoding to WMA. What do you mean by lag? The only reason for an encoding session to not eat as much CPU as possible is if your data source (the hard drive in this case) can't keep up with the encoder. If your HDD can provide the data fast enough the encoder should use %100 CPU as long as nothing else is running. If other things are running then they get time slices of the CPU that are dependent on their priority. Perhaps the WMA encoder you're using has requested a higher priority than the MP3 encoder you used to run?

Quick1

Dec 29, 1999
"WMA MP3 format" is wrong." Understood, I edited my initial post.

Ok...let me be more specific. I'm running DVD Audio Extractor to rip DVD audio tracks to WAV format for later CD burning. Also, at the same time, I'm using MP10 to convert and copy WMA formatted songs to my MP3. I never had a problem doing all this when I was using the MP3 320kb format on my player. It would seem converting the WMA files is massively cpu entensive. PC still responds, but now I've noticed my rig is a bit sluggish.

DVD Audio Extractor does have a priority setting, which is set to highest. I've never changed the default priority setting in MP10.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
any time you are converting audio or video files it will try and do it as quickly as possible, as such it will use your cpu extensively, to remove the lag lower the priority for the offending process by one level.

Quick1

Dec 29, 1999
Zolty: Ok...I'll give that a shot.

I'm at work and can't check it right now. But do I just go into Tools to change the priority settigs for MP10?

stickybytes

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Quick1
Zolty: Ok...I'll give that a shot.

I'm at work and can't check it right now. But do I just go into Tools to change the priority settigs for MP10?

I think he may have meant where all the threads/processes are in the task manager.