Is this too hot for a Core 2 Duo?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Got the new cooler today. OCed to 2.5Ghz again and ran Prime95 for an hour and the max temperature I saw was 57C. It's idling right now at 45C. I tried a bus speed of 400 but the computer won't post. I think it's my ram. I just bought some new PC 800 Cosair ram off newegg so hopefully that'll let me overclock further.

edit: Those numbers aren't really accurate since I had the case open. I closed the case and its running a little hotter now. 51C at idle, 63C on load. I guess that's ok.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Ok, I dunno WTF is going on now, but I shut down my computer and when I tried to boot back up it wouldn't POST. I had to reset the CMOS to get it to POST. However, now it no longer refuses to boot with any other speed than stock. Even if I bump it up a little bit it refuses to POST. I tried bumping up the voltages too. No luck. WTF is going on?

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I got it working now after increasing the (G)MCH voltage to +.1. I dunno why it worked at stock voltage before though. The northbridge is getting really freaking hot so I put an old 586 cpu cooler on it. Hopefully that'll keep the temps down.

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
Shawn,

With 65nm 1066Mhz chips being phased out, what will you do if you burn it up? With few suitable replacements available anymore you will have to get a new motherboard, new CPU, and possibly new memory. Maybe overclocking it isn't worth it.

John