Question Is this the lowest SSD prices will ever go?

Asphodelus

May 29, 2011
The last time RAM prices hit rock bottom was just after Elpida declared bankruptcy - since then, and for virtually the entire DDR4 era, prices have cycled between merely ok and sky high.

With Intel leaving the NAND business and there being only 4 players left, 3 of whom are the same companies who make DRAM, will we see the same kind of price fixing with NAND in the future as we do with DRAM now? Or is there still hope that Kioxia/WD will help keep prices down?

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
There's this thing called supply and demand that factors into it as well. See what your crystal ball says about future demand vs available supply and that should be a good indicator of price trends.

(My crystal ball said "reply hazy, try again later.")

Feb 4, 2009
I guess it depends if mining moves to storage.
Also in a way reduced competition is good. Manufacturers cannot continually have boom & bust periods without something bad happening that hurts us all.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
It will get a lot worse actually, each 108GB chia plot writes 1.8TB of data in the temporal storage... this means that a 2tb NVME is only good for up to 200TB (best case) of plots. Then you need a new NVME to continue creating plots.

This IF; and is a big IF, the TBW values provided by manufacturers are real.

Feb 4, 2009
look up "Chia" and despair

Like my December 2019 1660 ti purchase, I am glad I picked up a 1 TB Western Digital Black name drive. I am glad I did, not often you can unintentionally market time.
Ideally I’d like to be at 2TB but I do have 750(ish) GB worth of old sad drives hanging around. One is kind of old but last check it had 70 or 80% life left.

nosurprises

Jan 4, 2021
look up "Chia" and despair

That Chia is complete BS. I look up that bit torrent guy's argument about it being more environmental friendly -- what a load of crap. Chia is just as wasteful if not more than other cryptos.

I hope that greedy Chia idea doesn't catch on. There is already this same proof of space crypto out there for a few years, and that never took off.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
That Chia is complete BS. I look up that bit torrent guy's argument about it being more environmental friendly -- what a load of crap. Chia is just as wasteful if not more than other cryptos.

I hope that greedy Chia idea doesn't catch on. There is already this same proof of space crypto out there for a few years, and that never took off.

Well considering each HDD uses about 10 to 20W, it actually is more efficient, yet, the main issue is destroying M.2 in a few days when creating the plots. Two things i had in mind about that is try a 8x1TB HDD RAID 0 for plotting. Or get something with 256GB of ram capacity, it should be able to do the plotting in a ramdisk.

nosurprises

Jan 4, 2021
Well considering each HDD uses about 10 to 20W, it actually is more efficient, yet, the main issue is destroying M.2 in a few days when creating the plots. Two things i had in mind about that is try a 8x1TB HDD RAID 0 for plotting. Or get something with 256GB of ram capacity, it should be able to do the plotting in a ramdisk.
More efficient at doing what? By environmental friendly, I mean it's not wasteful like killing SSD drives and having a bunch of HDD storing nothing but junk.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
More efficient at doing what? By environmental friendly, I mean it's not wasteful like killing SSD drives and having a bunch of HDD storing nothing but junk.

More efficient in the way you can run a rig with 10x12TB WD Elements on a RPI and it would still use less power than a single GPU mining Etherum. Killing SSDs is optional but needed due to the time it takes to fill 120TB worth of plots. I expect plotting to move to ramdisks when high capacity DDR5 hits the market.
So, it is more power efficient, but it creates more eWaste, at least for now.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Ever? Ever is a long time. Once they reach the limits on 3D die stacking and process shrinks, prices will rise since the appetite for data storage continues to increase, then some new NV memory tech will come along (that is cost effective!) and ever, ends.

nosurprises

Jan 4, 2021
More efficient in the way you can run a rig with 10x12TB WD Elements on a RPI and it would still use less power than a single GPU mining Etherum. Killing SSDs is optional but needed due to the time it takes to fill 120TB worth of plots. I expect plotting to move to ramdisks when high capacity DDR5 hits the market.
So, it is more power efficient, but it creates more eWaste, at least for now.
I used to run my 60W light bulb 12 hours a day. Now that I got 20W LED bulb, I run that 24 hour a day -- even during the day because it's more efficient and I'm being more environmental friendly than before.

Feb 4, 2009
I used to run my 60W light bulb 12 hours a day. Now that I got 20W LED bulb, I run that 24 hour a day -- even during the day because it's more efficient and I'm being more environmental friendly than before.

I am on year 10 of a 6 watt(?) led light in the basement running 24/7.
Cats need some light to find their box

• Love
Reactions: Jaskalas

nosurprises

Jan 4, 2021
I am on year 10 of a 6 watt(?) led light in the basement running 24/7.
Cats need some light to find their box
If you need the light to be on for the cats in basement, I think it's fine.

I use 20W LED because I use it in the living room during the day and want to match the brightness of the sunlight streaming in. That's OK because it's more efficient.

Feb 4, 2009

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
December this drive was $130, today it is $160

Bought last month for $219.99. Today it's $254.99.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Man I'm glad my machines that can are all running NVME drives. A 1tb, two 512gb, and a 256gb. The other two machines are still on conventional SATA SSDs due to not having NVME M.2 slots because of age.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Just grabbed my first M2 drive based on all this forewarning of prices and shortages.
Was going to do it later, in another month or two down the road.

Grabbed a 2TB WD SN850 for my PS5 for the same reason. This drive is on backorder everywhere currently, so with the benefit of hindsight, I'm going to call that a good decision. Worst case scenario is I put it in my gaming PC if it isn't on the qualified list once the internal expansion feature is enabled.

Last edited: