Is this the greatest case of self-ownage ever?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Fake seat belt to fool police causes death of New Zealand driver

WELLINGTON, New Zealand: A New Zealand driver who used a fake car seat belt to fool police was killed when it failed him in a head-on crash, local media reported Saturday.

Ivan Segedin refused to wear a seat belt while driving and had been fined 32 times in the past five years for not wearing one, a coroner's court heard Friday.

Segedin, 39, died in a crash on July 22 last year from multiple injuries when his car crossed the road and collided head-on with an oncoming vehicle on North Island, coroner Carla na Nagara said.

"Ultimately Mr. Segedin's actions in driving without a seat belt have cost him his life in an accident that he may well have survived had he worn one," the New Plymouth Daily News quoted her saying.

Though his car was fitted with seat belts, an extra belt with a long strap had been knotted above the seat belt on the driver's side, providing a belt to simply sit over the driver's shoulder, Nagara said.

This created the illusion to a passing motorist or police officer that a seat belt was being worn when it was not.

Segedin's fatal injuries were caused when he was thrown forward on to the steering wheel in a low-impact crash. No blame or responsibility for the crash rested on the other driver, Nagara noted.

I laughed. Sorry, but I did.

Dangerer

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2005
i bet he snickered every time he drove past highway patrol with his fake belt on.

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
I would think it's funny if he got arrested for it. I don't think it's funny he died. A lot of people die because they will not wear a seat belt.

when his car crossed the road and collided head-on with an oncoming vehicle

Sounds like a chicken trying to cross the road joke. What happens when the dummy without a seat belt tries to cross the road with a car infront of him? Splat!

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
probably could have died even if he was wearing a seatbelt.

if you think I am condoning not wearing a seatbelt by stating that, you're mistaken. take you faux moral outrage elsewhere...

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: mcmilljb
I would think it's funny if he got arrested for it. I don't think it's funny he died. A lot of people die because they will not wear a seat belt.

Sounds like a chicken trying to cross the road joke. What happens when the dummy without a seat belt tries to cross the road with a car infront of him? Splat!

Apparently you do not understand the nature of a Darwin Award.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
32 Tickets for not wearing seatbelt: $1600

One Fake Seatbelt: $30

Winning the Darwin Award: Priceless

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Don't see why we should be forced to wear a seatbelt anyway.

I wear one, but I don't think we should be forced to.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

More than just refusing to wear a seatbelt, this guy actually went through the trouble of fabricating a "dummy" seatbelt to make it look as if he were wearing one. If you're going to do that, why not just wear the damned thing? Yeah, it's a shame he died, but that shame is his and his alone; I'm finding it really, really hard to build up any sympathy for the guy.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
I know people that have survived car crashes because they didnt wear a seatbelt. I still wear mine though.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Gnrslash4life
I know people that have survived car crashes because they didnt wear a seatbelt. I still wear mine though.

Those people are the exception, you local DPS can hook you up with plenty of information showing where seatbelts saved lives.

I have no sympathy of this guy, he sounded like an idiot. Fined 32 times for not wearing the seat belt, then went to the trouble to fabricate a fake one, dumbass.

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
Originally posted by: chuckywang

Apparently you do not understand the nature of a Darwin Award.

Dummy belt or not, he would have probably died. Had the dummy belt caused the death(like catching his neck or something), that would have been super darwin award winner.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
What an idiot. He deserved it, especially after being fined 32 times.
Darn it, there goes a reliable revenue stream.

Originally posted by: Bateluer
Originally posted by: Gnrslash4life

Those people are the exception, you local DPS can hook you up with plenty of information showing where seatbelts saved lives.

I have no sympathy of this guy, he sounded like an idiot. Fined 32 times for not wearing the seat belt, then went to the trouble to fabricate a fake one, dumbass.
I've seen car wrecks where there are two clear head-sized indentations in the windshield of the car - guess what, they weren't wearing seat belts. Surprise, surprise.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Kadarin
More than just refusing to wear a seatbelt, this guy actually went through the trouble of fabricating a "dummy" seatbelt to make it look as if he were wearing one. If you're going to do that, why not just wear the damned thing?

Yeah, I think that's the key here...

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Dangerer
i bet he snickered every time he drove past highway patrol with his fake belt on.

probably posted on ATOT the same way...meanwhile no one else got the joke.

To go through the steps to pin on a fake belt, the asshat may has well have put on his real seatbelt.

I wear mine not to protect myself from my own driving, but the driving of others.