Is this real or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
I got a letter in the mail, purporting to be from LexisNexis, advising that personally identifiable information may have been stolen by Yomi Jagunna. I did find news articles about this guy. He and his crime ring were convicted of conspiracy to commit ID theft. Essentially, they posed as a commercial business just to obtain ID info to steal from various firms, such as LexisNexis, from 2002 - 2008.

Something that concerns me about this letter is that they refer me to consumerinfo.com. They have been slammed as being a rather shady credit monitoring company. They were fined by the FTC for charging hidden fees for failing to cancel services and not providing clear ways to cancel the services. Apparently, this is still going on and further lawsuits have been raised against them.

Obviously, if this is legit, I want to take steps to protect myself. Has anyone else received such a letter, or is this just some 'scare tactic' to get me to join consumerinfo.com's service?

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Text

I worked at LN and they were aware of some security issues regarding a company they had just purchased. There were letters sent out and there were no outstanding cases of ID theft that I was aware of.

edit: I think companies like LifeLock and Consumer Info are trying to cash in.

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
Originally posted by: Crono
Originally posted by: MotF Bane
Contact LexisNexis?

This. When in doubt, always contact the company directly yourself.

Yeah, I'll have to try calling LN at oddball times. I keep getting placed on hold for longer than I can wait on breaks/lunch. I'm leery of using any ID-protection company that has singing dorks as company spokesmen (consumerinfo.com is the same as freecreditreport.com). This is something I take seriously; I want my monitoring company to take it seriously, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.