Is this Normal (write speed to NVMe drive)

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Hi,
I have two very similar set up compter, but they have very different write speed.
For example following computer takes few extra seconds to boot; but boot drive is fairly fast enough.
Specs are as follow
ASRock H270 Pro
CPU i3 6100 (not O.C.)
Mem 8GB
OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

CPU
1zno368.jpg

Chipset
1zf2xdl.jpg

Hdtune
2uhr4bb.png

WriteSpeed
jpizah.jpg

Drive is PNY CS2030 480 GB NVMe m.2 https://www.pny.com/cs2030-m2-ssd

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
So why MSi machine is so fast with slower Read speed drive
and ASRock with faster Drive is slower to boot ?

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
You don't specify how long the top system takes to boot beyond "a few seconds longer". You've got different motherboards with chipsets, different drives, slightly different CPU's, and different BIOS's. The first computer looks to have two drives in it. All of those are factors in boot times as well as software. If you're talking about the difference between a 4 second and 6 second boot time, both are well within the range of normal. You're also looking at sequential transfer speeds which are not the limiting factor in boot times.

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
First computer takes 6-8 second to boot. I may need time it again. It does have two drive connected; however only one drive have a partition on it.
Since both system are UEFI and Video card is UEFI plus booting from NVMe so I thought boot time should be identical.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Doesn't matter if it's got partitions, drive still has to be recognized and initialized by the BIOS. Ditto for any USB devices. There's far too many factors to try to guess why there's a 4 second difference. Plug in a USB thumb drive to the faster computer, that'll likely slow down the boot time as well. If you were talking about 4s vs 30s, that would be a different story. I wouldn't bother spending any time trying to figure out a 4 second difference.

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
You don't specify how long the top system takes to boot beyond "a few seconds longer". You've got different motherboards with chipsets, different drives, slightly different CPU's, and different BIOS's. The first computer looks to have two drives in it. All of those are factors in boot times as well as software. If you're talking about the difference between a 4 second and 6 second boot time, both are well within the range of normal. You're also looking at sequential transfer speeds which are not the limiting factor in boot times.
x2. There are many factors that contribute to boot time. A couple of seconds + or - isn't meaningful.

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Actually few second mean a lot. Perhaps most user tolerance is acceptable.
I would like to know what make older chipset with slower Drives makes so fast; compare to newer chipset faster.
I had a feeling it may some thing to do Video UEFI setting in UEFI.
The whole reason I went to UEFI boot from BIOS is to gain speed.
New computer is over 75% slower.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
If 2 seconds is some how impacting something (I would love to know what), then don't shut the computer down. Problem solved.

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
I was able to shave 1.5 seconds off in boot up process.
I disable Video Rom Display.
and Boot Manager timeout feature.
I think disabling Video Rom Display forcing to use UEFI only and system not waiting for Legacy BIOS.
I have notice speed difference (response all across the board).
Who knew ehay.........