Is this normal for Windows 10

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Made the upgrade to W10 and noticed all thse things in the start menu, just wanted to see if its normal. I have them disabled as you can see, its the Hazelwood and a few others.

20190401_104836.jpg

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Not normal at all. I have 5-6 items that startup with Windows, and I've never seen "smooch, scheid, or hazelwood" before.

Unless you installed a program that uses those, like mdram mentioned, there is a good chance those are malware (or at a minimum things you don't want running on your PC).

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
That would be what I have done as well in your situation.

An antivirus program like Bitdefender Free might be something you might want to look into.

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

I have looked into that, I think stuff was left over from W7, it did things during the install it didn't do the first time. Only reason I didn't go through with the Bitdefender install was them asking me to register, might do that down the road. The start menu right now is clear except for 2 things. I never felt the first go around was right in my gut.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
When you said upgrade, did you mean upgrade from 7 or 8.1? That could be what they are from. I also noticed that they are disabled, so perhaps whatever they are is no longer supported anyway (uness you did the disabling yourself). You won't have that with a clean install.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
When you said upgrade, did you mean upgrade from 7 or 8.1? That could be what they are from. I also noticed that they are disabled, so perhaps whatever they are is no longer supported anyway (uness you did the disabling yourself). You won't have that with a clean install.

I went from 7 to 10, I disabled them, they were running. Something was installed, most likely Malware, my router would still have 4 lights blinking when the PC was asleep, now its back to normal. I ended up getting a new SSD and doing a fresh install.

Reactions: mdram