Is this new R520 info?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I think everybody's consensus is 16 pipes for the next generation of ATI products.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
Anandtech has conflicting info saying the XT is a 16pipe unit at 600Mhz Core / 1400Mhz Mem.

and I believe this has been posted.

Turtle 1

Banned
Sep 14, 2005
Vr -Zone information in the past has been pretty good . 1 of the best out of all the reviews sights . and thoughs numbers are inline with what people were exspecting. I hope VR is right . either way I stiill buying into the R600 generation

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Quick question for the smart vga card people here....ok...I want to upgrade to R520....if I did...I was gonna get the XL or the Pro...Now...would it be better to keep what I have now.....X800 Pro...and run another one in crossfire....Or just get the X18 pro or Xl...which would be the better buy?

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: x80064
Quick question for the smart vga card people here....ok...I want to upgrade to R520....if I did...I was gonna get the XL or the Pro...Now...would it be better to keep what I have now.....X800 Pro...and run another one in crossfire....Or just get the X18 pro or Xl...which would be the better buy?

IF and WHEN it's released...I may be able to get the X800 Pro CrossFire edition card and a CrossFire mobo cheaper than R520 itself.....

Turtle 1

Banned
Sep 14, 2005
That might very well be the smart route to take as the SM3 is going to fade fast because of the upcoming SM4. But if you have to have SM3 the X1800 would be wiser.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
id say wait for SM 3.0 and just use your Geforce4 MX in the meantime.....

that would be the best option...

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Turtle 1
That might very well be the smart route to take as the SM3 is going to fade fast because of the upcoming SM4. But if you have to have SM3 the X1800 would be wiser.

Errr, why? SM4 will be here when?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: linkgoron

Errr, why? SM4 will be here when?

what if x1800 has SM4 already and that's why ATi has been so long getting it out and why yields are so bad? directx 9L is out when? surely they've already got SM4 in xbox360, right?

Turtle 1

Banned
Sep 14, 2005
SM4 is not due out till G80 R600. As for Xbox it has been reported to be SM3 but that seems to be a guarded secret. I can say that everthing is inplace for the Xbox to be SM4. Plus the fact that Microsoft created WGF2.0, R500 is unfied shaders and as I understand it That is a must to run WGF2.0. / Nvidia seems to have found away around this however.

Do you really think Microsoft would bring out next generation consol and not be ready with WGF2.0? I don't . So that being said I believe the R500 is already SM4.

DX9l is WGF1.0 it is what the G70 and R520 are reported to support. Although there seems to be a conflict as to weather nvidia does infact support DX9L. We shall see. It really doesn't matter DX9L is more a patch for DX10 so that DX9L operates in Vista . DX10 is not backward compatable with any DX of the past hence the patch for WGF1.0= DX9L I like to call this patch the nvidia Patch.

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
hmm i highly doubt that information is correct. the XT will be 16 pipes as it has been confirmed by anandtech and a variety of other sources.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: makken
Anandtech has conflicting info saying the XT is a 16pipe unit at 600Mhz Core / 1400Mhz Mem.

and I believe this has been posted.

He obviously is not the only site...

I think this leads to probably 2 possible things...

1) ATI has kept this a secret so they can make a big entrance and not have Nvidia steal its thunder again...

or

2) ATI had planned on 600 but now several months later with the 7800GTX available in big supply know if they want to claim the title they are going to need to pump up the speed....

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Ooooh... if it really is a 24pp card with 10vs and clocked that high at around ~500 I might be selling my brand new 7800GTX soon for ~ 375 .. I would like about 20-30%% more out of my GPU and this might provide it

junkyardDawg

Oct 11, 2001
DAMN, I thought everybody had given up on 24 pipes

If, and that's a big if ati can release that even in limited numbers, then I imagine we'll see 7800ultra quick. could be interesting

edit: why is a pro faster than the XL???

Jun 14, 2003
SM4 is not due out till G80 R600. As for Xbox it has been reported to be SM3 but that seems to be a guarded secret. I can say that everthing is inplace for the Xbox to be SM4. Plus the fact that Microsoft created WGF2.0, R500 is unfied shaders and as I understand it That is a must to run WGF2.0. / Nvidia seems to have found away around this however.

Do you really think Microsoft would bring out next generation consol and not be ready with WGF2.0? I don't . So that being said I believe the R500 is already SM4.

DX9l is WGF1.0 it is what the G70 and R520 are reported to support. Although there seems to be a conflict as to weather nvidia does infact support DX9L. We shall see. It really doesn't matter DX9L is more a patch for DX10 so that DX9L operates in Vista . DX10 is not backward compatable with any DX of the past hence the patch for WGF1.0= DX9L I like to call this patch the nvidia Patch.

i heard SM4 will be around for when Vista busts out with see thru windows blazing. whens vista out again? was its 2006 or 2007. either way its not that far off.

Turtle 1

Banned
Sep 14, 2005
YA microsoft is going to release the developers download for DX10 shortly so ati and nvidea will release cards as soon as possiable. He says DX9 but he is not sure what to call them poor fella. I to don't know if its WGF 1.0 =DX9L 0r if its WFG 2.0+DX10 or if its DXnext your guess as good as mine.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25937

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer

i heard SM4 will be around for when Vista busts out with see thru windows blazing. whens vista out again? was its 2006 or 2007. either way its not that far off.

"its" not far off . . . however, GAMES utilizing SM 4.0 are still years off for PC . . . Unreal3 Engine is SM 3.0 and will [probably] be the dominant game engine for the next 3 years. . . . then SM4.0 will start to appear in games built from the ground up - not patched in or ported from the xbox.

Turtle 1

Banned
Sep 14, 2005
Actually Game developers are already getting games ready using the Xbox 2 that they recieved to develop games for Xbox which should move over into the PC market rather smartly.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Actually Game developers are already getting games ready using the Xbox 2 that they recieved to develop games for Xbox which should move over into the PC market rather smartly.

yes with SM 3.0 kits . . . 1000+ shaders whereas just 'a few' is the norm now

4.0 is still a ways off . . . and the HW to run it [properly] won't be till r600 [of which the next xbox GPU is a a hybred] . . . probably by the end of the xBox360's run we'll see 4.0 [and all the 'goodies' that come with it] fully implemented

my 'take' ;)

Turtle 1

Banned
Sep 14, 2005
Support for SM4 is going to be much greater than it was for SM3 . Just the fact that its a Vista requirement . So SM4 development is going to be very intense. ALSO very rapid.
I am realy hoping that R520 is SM4 but with all the reports it sure don't look good. But if this thread topic is right . Than ATI has done a good job fooling all. So I suppose SM4 support is a possiability,(wishful thinking) I just can't see ATI doing 2 cards in SM3 than moving right to SM4 . That has not been their stile. Another video card maker is jumping SM3 and going right to SM4 . Maybe ATI did the same . Short time well see. As for ATI having to wait fot DX10 to be officilaly released . I am betting they had DX10 a year ago . Because of the Xbox deal.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Support for SM4 is going to be much greater than it was for SM3 . Just the fact that its a Vista requirement . So SM4 development is going to be very intense. ALSO very rapid.
I am realy hoping that R520 is SM4 but with all the reports it sure don't look good. But if this thread topic is right . Than ATI has done a good job fooling all. So I suppose SM4 support is a possiability,(wishful thinking) I just can't see ATI doing 2 cards in SM3 than moving right to SM4 . That has not been their stile. Another video card maker is jumping SM3 and going right to SM4 . Maybe ATI did the same . Short time well see. As for ATI having to wait fot DX10 to be officilaly released . I am betting they had DX10 a year ago . Because of the Xbox deal.

try doing a little reading . . . from reliable sites

expect r600 to support the new requirements . . . next year and the games the year [or for most, two] after . . . '08 - give-or-take a few months. . .

. . . by then i'll have a new computer.

Turtle 1

Banned
Sep 14, 2005
Ya so . The main point is its Vista ready . Games are also easier to produce for it . When Vista appears everthing will not be ready known fact. Look at SM3 hardly any support a year ago better today gone tomorrow . The big deal here is Vista and Vista compatable GPU'S nothing more nothing less.