Is this legal?

andrewjm

Jun 7, 2002
Okay.... I may be wrong about this, but I think this isn't exactly fair...

I was at microcenter, and they said the toshiba 5205 s705 laptop has a DVD that is 4x. Which it really has a 1x. So i said if i get it and i isn't a 4x can i return it, since this is false advertising. I am paying for a 4x dvd and you give me a 1x. Well, they said that it doesn't matter, and even if its wrong, they will still charge a restocking fee of 15% if i return.

shouldn't this be against the law for them to charge a restocking fee, because i am paying $3000 for a laptop with a 4x dvd and they give me a 1x... They gave me the wrong product

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
Did you speak with a Customer Service person, or a manager? If you haven't spoke with a manager yet, I would recommend calling them up and asking them this question...

andrewjm

Jun 7, 2002
Now heres more a problem...

Is their website microcenter.com the same as the store microcenter?

Cause can't they say "you didnt order it online, so it's not our problem"

should i get something in writing from the store manager before i buy it?

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Are you ordering online or on the website? Further, can you visit a store and see and if the website is treated the same the store?

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
From your wording it doesn't sound like you bought it yet. Buy it somewhere else, simple.

andrewjm

Jun 7, 2002
I have not bought it yet...

But compusa has the same restocking fee... and circuit city doesn't have it

Compusa has 1x listed, and microcenter has 4x listed...

I went to the store, and the people were being really stubborn about even talking to me regarding the 4x vs 1x...
They said if i know its 1x, then why have the conversation?

microcenter also has it for $100 less...

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Originally posted by: andrewjm
I have not bought it yet...

But compusa has the same restocking fee... and circuit city doesn't have it

Compusa has 1x listed, and microcenter has 4x listed...

I went to the store, and the people were being really stubborn about even talking to me regarding the 4x vs 1x...
They said if i know its 1x, then why have the conversation?

microcenter also has it for $100 less...

Well are you sure the drive is 1x at microcenter? If it is, just pay $100 more at Compussr and save yourself some hassle.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you know it's a 1x, make your life easier and just don't buy it at Microcenter.

andrewjm

Jun 7, 2002
Well its a mail in rebate...

The laptop is 1x... but some stores say 4x, but they are wrong...

So just for a safety, if i don't like the laptop, can i not use this as a reason to return without the restocking fee?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Get it in writing someplace that says 4x burner.... Then tell them it better have a 4x burner or you will "dispute the charges on my credit card." I think you'll win in that situation.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
My question is this. You know it is 1x so WHY would you want to return it for it being a 1x drive???

Sounds to me that you want to buy it and then go back bitching it is a 1x drive. Saying you didn't know when you bought it and you want your 4x drive.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
check your state laws on the amount of time you have to legally return something. Here in michigan its 24 hours. We have to return it for the full amount within that time. There are exclusions though, but those are pretty much software/video/cd related

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Sounds to me like you are asking to get something for nothing. You know it is 1x, you are paying for 1x, and you are going to march in there and demand 4x. Mistakes happen - many places even have disclaimers that says they are not responsible for printing errors. (I don't know if that disclaimer holds up in court). Why even bother going through all this trouble when you KNOW it was a simple mistake on their part. Is this worth the time and trouble and lawyer fees and court costs it will cause you if you really want to fight it?

Note: You can price match mail in rebates as well.