Is this information about DVI accurate?

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

Scroll down to where it talks about dual link dvi.

I could have sworn that dual link DVI on a very high end, recent video card such as the 7800GTX 512MB edition or an ATI X1800 card or the like.

The connector looked odd and I've seen it on a number occasions, it looked like an HDMI port that was elongated to the length of a standard DVI type A port but there were two of them stacked right on top of each other. Any idea on what I'm talking about and what it is?

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
See old cards like 6800U , X800XT didn't have Dual Link DVI... some cheap ATI X1600XT have Dual Link DVI which support very high res like you would need a Dual DIV link port for Dell 3007FPW.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
The connector looked odd and I've seen it on a number occasions, it looked like an HDMI port that was elongated to the length of a standard DVI type A port but there were two of them stacked right on top of each other. Any idea on what I'm talking about and what it is

Sounds like you're referring to the DMS port on a Crossfire Edition Master card ( pic ) Dual link DVI port on my X1800 cards looks pretty much identical to a Single link DVI port on my other cards.

Here is a shot of a x1800 GTO with dual, dual link DVI ports ( pic )

Here's a shot of a X800 XL with dual, single link DVI ports ( pic )

edit: added pic links

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
Originally posted by: rbV5
The connector looked odd and I've seen it on a number occasions, it looked like an HDMI port that was elongated to the length of a standard DVI type A port but there were two of them stacked right on top of each other. Any idea on what I'm talking about and what it is

Sounds like you're referring to the DMS port on a Crossfire Edition Master card ( pic ) Dual link DVI port on my X1800 cards looks pretty much identical to a Single link DVI port on my other cards.

Here is a shot of a x1800 GTO with dual, dual link DVI ports ( pic )

Here's a shot of a X800 XL with dual, single link DVI ports ( pic )

edit: added pic links
Right on the nail with every one of your points....

Yeah so what was the DMS port on the crossfire for? I thought crossfire worked on the bus.. Also basically there is no way to tell by looking at the port to see if the card is dual link or single link? Cause my 9800pro has all the pins in there and I dunno why. (middle two rows should be missing)

:confused:

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Yeah so what was the DMS port on the crossfire for? I thought crossfire worked on the bus..

Highend Crossfire uses the DMS port as the interconnect between Master/Slave and the Compositing Chip.

Also basically there is no way to tell by looking at the port to see if the card is dual link or single link? Cause my 9800pro has all the pins in there and I dunno why. (middle two rows should be missing)

Not as far as I can tell, I imagine it depends on the manufacturer. Probably use the same connector for cost cutting reasons.

Basically, older cards had to use optional external TMDS transmitters for dual link support, more newer cards feature dual link as standard (highend standard, lower end, certain cards). You'll have to go by the specific card specs, which is generally a touted feature.

If it doesn't say it supports dual link specifically, it probably doesn't. If it claims dual link support, you'll just want to make sure.

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
Originally posted by: rbV5
Yeah so what was the DMS port on the crossfire for? I thought crossfire worked on the bus..

Highend Crossfire uses the DMS port as the interconnect between Master/Slave and the Compositing Chip.

Also basically there is no way to tell by looking at the port to see if the card is dual link or single link? Cause my 9800pro has all the pins in there and I dunno why. (middle two rows should be missing)

Not as far as I can tell, I imagine it depends on the manufacturer. Probably use the same connector for cost cutting reasons.

Basically, older cards had to use optional external TMDS transmitters for dual link support, more newer cards feature dual link as standard (highend standard, lower end, certain cards). You'll have to go by the specific card specs, which is generally a touted feature.

If it doesn't say it supports dual link specifically, it probably doesn't. If it claims dual link support, you'll just want to make sure.
So they manage to go lazy by fitting all the pins on all the older cards allowing them to technically support dual link had the sufficient processing etc.. been there but when it came to the cables on the other hand, they made sure to put as few pins as necessary? Man why couldn't they just agree on DVI-I Dual link? Why all this intermediate crap?? Man that ****** is annoying, DVI-a, DVI-I and DVI-D with dual or single link an option :roll: