Is this a virus...or??

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
D: POSTED BY WIFE OF RUNZ

The problem:

All anti spyware programs on cmputer won't work. (Spybot, anti malwear bytes, Viper, etc.)
Before problem, we did have PC tools firewall plus installed
Games are slow to not playable (any game such as RTCW), but after about 5 min, the games play normally.

WIN XP
EVGA 750i mobo
EVGA gtx 260 vid
150 gig velociraptor hd
4 gig pc8500 mem
Aside from a reformat, any suggestions?
And what type of virus are we looking at?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Sounds like a virus. I'd try booting to a CD with malware tools, and see if you can clean it up that way.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
D: POSTED BY WIFE OF RUNZ

The problem:

All anti spyware programs on cmputer won't work. (Spybot, anti malwear bytes, Viper, etc.)
Before problem, we did have PC tools firewall plus installed
Games are slow to not playable (any game such as RTCW), but after about 5 min, the games play normally.

WIN XP
EVGA 750i mobo
EVGA gtx 260 vid
150 gig velociraptor hd
4 gig pc8500 mem
Aside from a reformat, any suggestions?
And what type of virus are we looking at?

Well it depends on what you mean by "won't work". To what extent? Do they not install? Do they not run properly?

Games being slow to not playable for up to 5 minutes leads me to believe that there are so many background processes that your Graphics Card throttling software or something is waiting an EXTREMELY long time to throttle. Or something along those lines.

Suggestions? Get the heck off of Windows XP! I know this sounds harsh, but every time I have to fix a computer and am greeted with Windows XP, I just shake my head.

As for what time of virus - we have no way of knowing with the information provided (assuming it is a virus).

Can you download and run HijackThis! and post the logfile for us?

-Kevin