Is this a new ebay scam???

destined

Apr 17, 2004
I placed a bid on an mp3 player and lost. I received this e mail the next day.

Dear xxxxxxx...You expressed interest on this item. I'm the seller of this item on which you've recently bid on through the eBay system... ***Item title: CREATIVE LABS ZEN VISION M 30GB MP3 PLAYER -- Item number: 130153938960*** ...And I've contacted you because I need to know if you are still interested to buy ... Email me as soon as possible with your answer because I must to know if is necesarly to find another buyer or if you can buy the item(i need to know your final price)...If you accept this offer the eBay policy automatically proclaims you winner. The transaction will go strictly according to eBay's RULES and POLICY and will be supervised by eBay Trust & Safety Department. If you are interested just reply to this message...I am waiting a fast response!...Thank you!

to play along.

Hi, I am still interested, but I thought the auction ended? Please let me know.

hi,the price is $70 shipping free ,so let me know if you want to buy and i will email ebay to create an invoice for payment and shipping details,thanx

I'll take it. What a great deal. Thanks.

ok,so let me know your complete adress and name to email ebay to create an invoice for payment and shipping details,also i will need your info for the shipping-ups express,so let me know,thanx

It can't be legit. What do you guys think? Have any of you ran into this before?

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Ebay has a feature for a 2nd chance offer. I would only go through if it's done on the ebay system.

destined

Apr 17, 2004
thanks. So do you think its a scam or what?

it seems the first e mail was automated by taking the name of the auction and the item id and emailing me through ebay. it seems fishy.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
If you got a second chance email from ebay, then it is legit. I've gotten many of those and bought the product as well. Only if it comes through ebay though.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
could be a scam. i had one where i thought some guy had another acount and was bidding it up. it went above what i felt it was worth and the other guy won.

next day i get a email saying the guy didnt want it and i could have it for my max amount. i told him no because that was his 2nd account. heh he never replied back.

destined

Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
If you got a second chance email from ebay, then it is legit. I've gotten many of those and bought the product as well. Only if it comes through ebay though.

the first email came from ebay but im not even sure if thats the original seller. I tried looking up the email address that I received and it doesn't come up on ebay.

destined

Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: usedone
it is a scam, don't even open the e-mail. They do those all the time.

It stinks of a scam. But i just wanted to ask around to see if it was a common scam since i've never seen it before.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: waggy
could be a scam. i had one where i thought some guy had another acount and was bidding it up. it went above what i felt it was worth and the other guy won.

next day i get a email saying the guy didnt want it and i could have it for my max amount. i told him no because that was his 2nd account. heh he never replied back.

Why did you bid your max if you think that's too high? :confused:

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
If it is from the seller (and you can verify it), it's not necessarily a scam against you but a scam against ebay- if the seller has multiple stock of this item it allows him to bypass ebay listing fees and sell to multiple ebayers directly.

destined

Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Evander
If it is from the seller (and you can verify it), it's not necessarily a scam against you but a scam against ebay- if the seller has multiple stock of this item it allows him to bypass ebay listing fees and sell to multiple ebayers directly.

How do i verify though? He says hes using the bay system so it doesn't seem like hes bypassing the ebay system.

whistleclient

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: destined

How do i verify though? He says hes using the bay system so it doesn't seem like hes bypassing the ebay system.

Walk away, dude. it's a scam.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

if you have to ask, you've just verified it.

destined

Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: tangent1138

Walk away, dude. it's a scam.

I know, I'm just giving you guys a heads up.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: usedone
it is a scam, don't even open the e-mail. They do those all the time.

First rule of buying/selling on the internet: If you have to ask if its a scam, IT IS!

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001

You can do this: view sellers other items, view any item, and then do the "ask seller a question / send message to seller" thing, asking him if he contacted you about buying this item. If he replies that he did, then I guess you've verified it.