Question Is this a good graphics card for my build?

Terabyte 11

Oct 26, 2019
I'm working on selecting the best parts for a Ryzen 9 3900X build. I'm considering the Nividia GeForce RTX 2070 Founders Edition for my graphics card and want to make sure this is a good choice for my build.

I don't plan to use this build for gaming or anything though there may be some amount of Graphics intensive work, but I don't think I really need anything extreme. Mostly I just want something with decent performance and good quality that won't fail in a couple years and have to be replaced.

Thanks for the help.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I'm working on selecting the best parts for a Ryzen 9 3900X build. I'm considering the Nividia GeForce RTX 2070 Founders Edition for my graphics card and want to make sure this is a good choice for my build.

I don't plan to use this build for gaming or anything though there may be some amount of Graphics intensive work, but I don't think I really need anything extreme. Mostly I just want something with decent performance and good quality that won't fail in a couple years and have to be replaced.

Thanks for the help.
That's a very high end card for what you seem to intend doing, or more accurately, not doing.

Reactions: Terabyte 11

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Okay, now I'm confused. One person says it's too much and the other says not enough.

If you are wanting that class of card, then the Super is the better card to go for.

BUT, now that I reread, if you are NOT gaming or 3D modeling, you just need a low end card. ie: GTX 1050 or RX560 or something.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I don't plan to use this build for gaming or anything though there may be some amount of Graphics intensive work, but I don't think I really need anything extreme.
What kind of intensive work? For example: the RTX cards are great bang for buck for Redhift3D, VRAY-RT, and Octane.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
how about a 1060 6gb used for 100 and bump the cpu up to 3950 :p the gpu does help alot but the tasks the GPU performs end really quick. So memory and SSD speed prob more important. at least a 1060 id say tho, 2070 doesnt sound bad and the founders edition does exhaust out the back of the pc at least.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Occasional video editing and Photoshop type programs but it's not the main purpose of the machine.

GPU has very little impact on Photoshop, with the exception of some filters that use OpenCL, which AMD is a better choice for.

Video editing itself does not require a big GPU, except for when it comes to rendering. As some software can offload parts to the GPU. But disk I/O and CPU speed have much larger impacts here.

An entry level GPU will still be fine. You can get a 2070 if you wan't, it won't hurt anything other than your wallet. But there is no real need for it unless you will want to game.