is this a bad time to get a card?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IllogicalGlory

Mar 8, 2013
What is the difference between 1070 SC ACX 3.0 and the SC ACX 3.0 "Black Edition".

Its an almost 40 dollar price difference...

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...8&qid=1481003225&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx1070&th=1
Looks like the black edition is black, literally. Can't see any other difference. Prices are pretty arbitrary on the different versions of cards (especially on Amazon); usually there's one with the right price and the others are just kind of random. Looks like the black edition would be the way to go.

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
The 1080Ti will be an arm and leg, just get the 1070 which is still way better then the 780.

Not really an option for me. My rig is completely under water and I plan to put whatever next card I get under water. Not to mention I game at 4k so I don't want stop-gap solutions. If the 1080Ti performs near the Titan XP for around $800 I don't mind biting the bullet.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
Not really an option for me. My rig is completely under water and I plan to put whatever next card I get under water. Not to mention I game at 4k so I don't want stop-gap solutions. If the 1080Ti performs near the Titan XP for around $800 I don't mind biting the bullet.
The current rumor is nvidia is readying the 1080Ti for CES so you may have a solution in less than a month. Really depends on how they decide to price it and how cut down from Titan XP it is. I think it becomes a truly good value if they knock the 1080 down to $499 and put the 1080Ti at $649 similar to the 980 and 980ti.

Mezzanine

Feb 13, 2006
Buy a 1070.

The only AMD card that isn't hot, power hungry AIDS is the RX480 and it's only a mid range card.

This sort of post has no place on our forums.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
If OP isn't upgrading his mobo and CPU in the next 6 month anything above a RX 480 (or GTX 1060) is overkill. In some games especially online multiplayer he will be CPU limited with a 1070, so waste of money. Better save now an invest the saved money into the next GPU in 2 years.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
in a freak turn of events i bought an rx480 - i was about to pull the trigger and came upon some reviews showing that hair works sapped a good 10-15fps, and with it off you can get a good 60fps without issue.
i then watched videos of witcher 3 with hairworks on and off and I preferred the aesthetics of hair works turned off.
At the same moment I saw hot deals had a good price, so I just pulled the trigger without thinking much.

Given it was only 177 bucks with tax (new egg deal and I have to pay CA tax), it seemed like a no brainer; if it doesn't work out I will sell it easily for 120 or so, and then I'll just pick up that gtx 1070 in a few months.

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
The current rumor is nvidia is readying the 1080Ti for CES so you may have a solution in less than a month. Really depends on how they decide to price it and how cut down from Titan XP it is. I think it becomes a truly good value if they knock the 1080 down to $499 and put the 1080Ti at $649 similar to the 980 and 980ti.

Yeah, I've been following the rumors. If it's priced at $650 and offers ~90% of the Titan XP performance that would be an instant sell for me and a lot of other enthusiasts. I wanted to wait for Vega but that could be anywhere between a 3-6 month wait and I'm not sure how it would perform.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
in a freak turn of events i bought an rx480 - i was about to pull the trigger and came upon some reviews showing that hair works sapped a good 10-15fps, and with it off you can get a good 60fps without issue.
i then watched videos of witcher 3 with hairworks on and off and I preferred the aesthetics of hair works turned off.
At the same moment I saw hot deals had a good price, so I just pulled the trigger without thinking much.

Given it was only 177 bucks with tax (new egg deal and I have to pay CA tax), it seemed like a no brainer; if it doesn't work out I will sell it easily for 120 or so, and then I'll just pick up that gtx 1070 in a few months.
It's all about timing. Many users don't realize that here but a lot of the reason people buy the gpu they do is timing and cost. If you see an amazing deal for a gpu jump on it. You can prefer a 1060 or a 480 but if one is at a significant discount, why not get it.

Also, Nvidia features are only for highend buyers. Don't try to use things like hair works if you aren't willing to spend 400-500+ on a gpu. Just will wreck your perf. Half the reason I'm moving to purely the fastest chips and multiples of them is for these stupid features on old games. I want to see the 4k glory, even if it costs $1000+ to get it!

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009

Good call. Always a good idea to search for benches with Nvidias GimpWorks disabled.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
It's all about timing. Many users don't realize that here but a lot of the reason people buy the gpu they do is timing and cost. If you see an amazing deal for a gpu jump on it. You can prefer a 1060 or a 480 but if one is at a significant discount, why not get it.

Also, Nvidia features are only for highend buyers. Don't try to use things like hair works if you aren't willing to spend 400-500+ on a gpu. Just will wreck your perf. Half the reason I'm moving to purely the fastest chips and multiples of them is for these stupid features on old games. I want to see the 4k glory, even if it costs $1000+ to get it!

Timing is very true; had I waited a night, I probably would have bought a GTX1070. Card is functioning beautifully - everything except hairworks is turned up to the max, and I'm enjoying it PC Master Race Style.

Honestly Hairworks doesn't even look good on Witcher 3; maybe its better implemented in other games. All the hair looks too silky smooth as if he always carrying around a full set of artisinal hair products - the way the hair strands flow is beyond awkward. It looks ridiculous on a traveler that probably doesn't shower much and has oily hair, and it looks even more ridiculous on animals lol.
If the GTX1070 drops in a few months, I may pick one up and move the RX480 to the Thuban Rig that currently has a GTX570...just because the GTX570 is slowly starting to show its age (though not as fast as the SLI GTX460s lol)