Is this 53 degrees @idle Normal for NVMe SSD?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I haven't uploaded a benchie yet, but I have concluded that performance goes down as function of both how much of the drive is in use persistently, and the number of different partitions or logical volumes. My performance had been at about 3,100 the other day, and it dropped below 3,000. But I don't plan on writing a whole lot more to that drive. Or not enough to change that too much.

The temperature never went over 30C when I ran CrystalDiskMark per advice of Xabanak. Of course I've been talking about my new Pro drive and dual-boot.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-Group-...nternal-Sol-/381952003799?hash=item58ee1d0ed7

M.2 with heatsink bundle.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Looks like Newegg has them, too. The $0.99 shipping scares me, since that probably means they're going to just put it into a padded envelope to be smashed during transit like that 960 Evo.

The heatsink looks impressive, the biggest and most effective looking M.2 form factor heatsink I've seen, and it looks kinda cool, too. The drive has an above average endurance rating at 670TBW for the 480GB, so that looks like a good contender for a heavy use case. I wonder how well it performs relative to the usual drives like the 960s, M8PE, and RD400?

I kinda want one, but I haven't upgraded to a board that will let me use the M.2 slot and both my KryoM.2 cards together yet.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Larry's always the go-to guy for amazing deals, it seems. I'm really surprised by that Team Group item.

Xabanak mentioned possibly having two PCIEx4 units and another in the M.2 slot? I think I could do that, but then you lose four SATA ports, with only two left.

I'm getting ready to stick the 960EVO I bought into the PCIE_16_2 x16/x8 slot. the second KryoM.2 came today. thing is, this all seems like a bit of overkill even for the price of the Kryo. But -- no regrets.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm getting ready to stick the 960EVO I bought into the PCIE_16_2 x16/x8 slot. the second KryoM.2 came today. thing is, this all seems like a bit of overkill even for the price of the Kryo. But -- no regrets.

Of course they're overkill, but it sure is nice seeing a NVMe drive sitting at 23c at idle, and only climbing up to 30c at load.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Hmm, now that you pointed THAT out, now I want one too. Is it 3D MLC?

I looked but couldn't find whether it is planar or 3D MLC, I'm assuming its not TLC based on how high the endurance rating is.

I also noticed the new Corsair MP500 480GB is rated at 695TBW, even more. It's based on Toshiba's 15nm planar MLC.

BonzaiDuck said:
Xabanak mentioned possibly having two PCIEx4 units and another in the M.2 slot? I think I could do that, but then you lose four SATA ports, with only two left.

I was referring to my X99 board and how mine disables a PCI-e slot if i put a drive in the M.2, and how the second gen Asus X99 boards allow both the M.2 and the aforementioned PCI-e slot to be used simultaneously. Right now I have a GPU running at 16x, two KryoM.2 drives in slots using 2x 4x, and then 16 lanes going to waste. That's potentially a second GPU for SLI or more NVM-e drives but my board wont let me use any more drvices due to layout or bios limitations.

Ideally, I'd want an X99 (or, well, probably X299 at this rate) board that would allow SLI of two GPU's, two PCI-e slot drives, an M.2, and a U.2. The only board I've seen that can accomodate that is the new Rampage V Extreme Edition 10, and that's a no-go because it's so expensive (maybe I should reevaluate my prorities since I've spent $900 on NVM-e drives.....). I dislike boards like the Asus WS boards with multiplexers because frequently you can't get full bandwidth to all the drives simultaneously.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I looked but couldn't find whether it is planar or 3D MLC, I'm assuming its not TLC based on how high the endurance rating is.

I also noticed the new Corsair MP500 480GB is rated at 695TBW, even more. It's based on Toshiba's 15nm planar MLC.

I was referring to my X99 board and how mine disables a PCI-e slot if i put a drive in the M.2, and how the second gen Asus X99 boards allow both the M.2 and the aforementioned PCI-e slot to be used simultaneously. Right now I have a GPU running at 16x, two KryoM.2 drives in slots using 2x 4x, and then 16 lanes going to waste. That's potentially a second GPU for SLI or more NVM-e drives but my board wont let me use any more drvices due to layout or bios limitations.

Ideally, I'd want an X99 (or, well, probably X299 at this rate) board that would allow SLI of two GPU's, two PCI-e slot drives, an M.2, and a U.2. The only board I've seen that can accomodate that is the new Rampage V Extreme Edition 10, and that's a no-go because it's so expensive (maybe I should reevaluate my prorities since I've spent $900 on NVM-e drives.....). I dislike boards like the Asus WS boards with multiplexers because frequently you can't get full bandwidth to all the drives simultaneously.

Well, I looked at the Skylake and Z170 possibilities. I've got 16 lanes in the usual two PCIE x16/x8 slots, and I can afford to lose ~1% graphics performance for my 1070 by using the second of the two for NVMe. Everything else works with the 20 lanes of PCIE through the chipset, which communicates through the DMI link to the processor equivalent to x4.

Now that I have my original 960 EVO 250 and KryoM.2 set up to stick in that slot, I'm thinking that I want to try it, but still . . . . maybe I actually do want to eventually make that slot available for another 1070 card. Decisions, decisions . . .

I might have built an "-E" processor system with the X99, but it just seemed like overkill to me. Right now, this is almost the best I could imagine. I'll find out, though . . .