Is there Poison in Your Turkey?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
I'm not that bothered since I don't like Turkey. Duck and gammon for me at Christmas and New Year.
Link+to+the+past+Ganon.png

Mmm tasty ganon

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Not sure what my employer is giving us this year. An arsenic laced turkey would be one way to hand out pink slips...

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Yeah. But mega corporate farming/ranching practices are putting profit over our health and animal rights. There is no need to treat birds the way they do and the huge bacteria counts and various growth hormones are not really good for us. Money is good for them. The alternatives are not much more. Places like this:
\http://www.polyfacefarms.com/

offer all natual range animals for about 50-100% more.

Ahhh, so you admit you have no clue wtf you're talking about??
There are NO growth hormones added to turkeys in the US. There are NO growth hormones added to chickens in the US.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
There are NO growth hormones added to turkeys in the US. There are NO growth hormones added to chickens in the US.
I didn't know that, but I do know I've seen packages of chicken in the store with stickers claiming, "no steroids, no hormones" contained in this chicken. So that makes one believe there are some prepared that way.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I didn't know that, but I do know I've seen packages of chicken in the store with stickers claiming, "no steroids, no hormones" contained in this chicken. So that makes one believe there are some prepared that way.

Probably because like the "Organic" label, some suckers out there are willing to pay more for it. And the label would be accurate, just doesn't mention it's all that way...

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

Marketing geniuses. Because one brand put that on their chicken, consumers are fooled into thinking that the other brands must contain steroids or hormones. It's just a marketing trick, and it works.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Marketing geniuses. Because one brand put that on their chicken, consumers are fooled into thinking that the other brands must contain steroids or hormones. It's just a marketing trick, and it works.
Yep, agreed. You don't see that on packages of beef though... hmmm...

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

I meant in general. It's not steroids or hormones with chickens that's for cattle. It's genetic freaks, locked down and antibiotics with chickens/turkeys. Still it's stuffing shit in your piehole.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Beef is injected with estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, zeranol, trenbolone acetate, and melengestrol acetate.

and.. off the top of your head... can YOU tell me why that's bad? or are you parroting something you saw on a website.

I can have 50 people convinced dihydrogen monoxide is bad for you just by telling them:

Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:
  • Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
  • Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
  • Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
  • DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
  • Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
  • Contributes to soil erosion.
  • Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
  • Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
  • Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
  • Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
  • Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
  • Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

And then make them feel stupid because this is... water.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
and.. off the top of your head... can YOU tell me why that's bad? or are you parroting something you saw on a website.

I can have 50 people convinced dihydrogen monoxide is bad for you just by telling them:

Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:
  • Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
  • Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
  • Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
  • DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
  • Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
  • Contributes to soil erosion.
  • Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
  • Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
  • Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
  • Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
  • Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
  • Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

And then make them feel stupid because this is... water.

Jury is still out. We rush stuff without testing proper due to $$$. If people know the stuff caused cancer/thyriod disease and whatnot it would not approved for use. However it's illegal in places like Europe because of plausibility of health issues.

DES that was used to fatten cattle and chickens was found to cause cancer risk in humans so they banned it finally. DDT similar fate and much more. How much of these chemicals will have same fate? I don't play Russian roulette or eat unknown.

Regardless while there is some debate on chemicals there is none on unhumane filthy treatment of animals on huge commercial farms. That alone is enough to keep me away.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
there is none on unhumane filthy treatment of animals on huge commercial farms. That alone is enough to keep me away.

and... have you visited every farm used for every product you purchase? or are you another sheep who bleets when PETA says to?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
You do know the rumored reason why turkey "makes people sleepy", yes? Tryptophan.

And I'm also here to say, even that is false. Most, if not all other meats, contain similar levels of Tryptophan. And even bananas contain Tryptophan, of which is an Essential Amino Acid.

There is truth to the claim that Tryptophan, and the metabolites of Tryptophan, can cause drowsiness, the real truth to why many people get so sleep after Thanksgiving is not due to the turkey, it is due to the gorging. We consume so much food in a single sitting, often all high-carb foods, that it causes insulin spikes and drops the blood sugar level, which means the brain is running on low glycogen levels, and thus "running on empty", which results in a great deal of drowsiness that is often very very hard to fight.

It's just food coma in general, which is caused by both tryptophan and high carb foods.
High carb foods actually intensifies the tryptophan effect, as the insulin spike makes the tryptophan/other amino acid ratio go up, hence producing more of the calming serotonin in the brain.

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Jury is still out. We rush stuff without testing proper due to $$$. If people know the stuff caused cancer/thyriod disease and whatnot it would not approved for use. However it's illegal in places like Europe because of plausibility of health issues.

DES that was used to fatten cattle and chickens was found to cause cancer risk in humans so they banned it finally. DDT similar fate and much more. How much of these chemicals will have same fate? I don't play Russian roulette or eat unknown.

Regardless while there is some debate on chemicals there is none on unhumane filthy treatment of animals on huge commercial farms. That alone is enough to keep me away.

It's a pretty simple argument that the ban on DDT has killed far more humans than DDT ever did.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

Yep, agreed. You don't see that on packages of beef though... hmmm...

lol I just read a package of pre-packaged wings I have from Foster Farms and on it has a big seal that says, "Does not contain hormones or steroids" as an obvious selling point, and has a little asterisk, turn the package over and the asterisk says, "Federal regulations prohibits the use of hormones in chicken" :D

Advertising at it's best.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
pre-packaged wings I have from Foster Farms and on it has a big seal that says, "Does not contain hormones or steroids" as an obvious selling point, and has a little asterisk, turn the package over and the asterisk says, "Federal regulations prohibits the use of hormones in chicken"

LOL i'm gonna try that.

i'm gonna bottle some home made soda... and slap a sticker on it that says "Does not contain urine*" and in TINY TINY fineprint
"*soda doesn't contain urine"