Question Is there going to be a 22 core HEDT release by Intel for 2066 socket?

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
I know there is a an 18 core refresh for the aging 2066 Intel HEDT system and was wondering if Intel were serious about possibly releasing a 22 core cpu for the 2066 socket system? There seems to be a bit of a rumour going around that they might and was wondering if any of you could shed any light on this rumor and add any more extra information?

I personally have a 2066 system with 10 cores but might be willing to upgrade to a 22 core cpu if Intel are serious about releasing it.

jamescox

Nov 11, 2009
Intel has fallen into the “I will believe it when I see it (reviewed at a reputable site)” status, even if they officially had something on their roadmaps. They have leaked all kinds of things, but if they put it on official roadmaps, it is a disaster if they don’t deliver, especially in the enterprise market.

They are probably capacity constrained at 14 nm since they back ported their 10 nm design to 14 nm. They can’t use fab space very efficiently compared to AMD with their IO made at Global Foundries and just little 75 square mm chips made at 7 nm. A 22 core device would waste a lot of fab space. Intel is going to focus on their enterprise customers; HEDT is probably the lowest priority. If it is a part that can be packaged as a Xeon or a HEDT part, it will almost certainly be packaged as a Xeon. They can’t compete with ThreadRipper anyway.

I have to wonder if a lot of big customers are getting higher core count Xeon upgrades for a cheap price to try to stop them from going AMD. A lot of companies have been doing specifications for next gen systems and there is just no upgrade available from Intel, so there are probably a lot of prototype AMD systems being built now.

Reactions: moinmoin

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Intel did make an XCC version of the Xeon W but that is using the server socket and has 6 channel memory, etc. There is no HEDT equivalent and likely won't be.

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
I have to wonder if a lot of big customers are getting higher core count Xeon upgrades for a cheap price to try to stop them from going AMD. A lot of companies have been doing specifications for next gen systems and there is just no upgrade available from Intel, so there are probably a lot of prototype AMD systems being built now.
I think ServeTheHome usually mentions that Intel gives deep discounts to corporate customers, enough to make the list price of a SKU a total joke. I don't get why Inrwl don't simply slash the prices for everyone, they are actually losing minorist sales by not doing so.