Is there generic Gatorade-type drink? Is gatorade better/worse than powerade, etc? Recommendations?

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
Like everyone else on the planet, I had the flu for a while. As per suggestions here and elsewhere I tried some Gatorade to see if it helped with the aches/pains and the fuzzy brain. To my surprise it worked really well.

It's still helping. So, what's good in the gatorade-type racket? Is powerade better/worse? Is vitamin water the same thing, electrolyte-wise? Is there a cheap generic version?

Are the other types of gatorade, the ones that say gatorade-flash or v or something - there are a lot of variants - just as electrolyte-laden as the original?

Onward in the quest for health - thanks!

antyler

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2005
I drink powerade and gatorade on a regular basis. My fridge is always stocked with them. I just drink whichever one happens to be cheaper at the wal mart or grocery store.

To be honest, I have barely ever looked at the labels, but I cant imagine that there would be that many differences to them.

Feb 6, 2007
Hard to beat the original Gatorade.... I mean, other things have fewer calories (because they use synthetic sugars which may cause cancer) or are supposedly "better for you" (but not for your wallet)... But the original Gatorade seems to do the trick pretty damn well. It's great when you're working out, when you're feeling like shit, when you're hung over... It's beautiful.

That said, if it's strictly a matter of thirst, water is just about the best thing you can drink.

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
what the hell?

BTW: google homemade gatorade recipe and there are a few decent ones. It's basically salt water and flavoring.

A lot of recipes I found is salt,sugar and a sugar free kool aid packet. About 1/10 the price of gatorade.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Gatorade powder is definitely the way to go, if you're wanting Gatorade. Ready to drink is way more expensive than mixing your own.
I like Propel fitness water as well, and you can find that in a powder form as well.

There's also a product called Fulfill, at Walmart, that's in powder form. Uses artificial sweetener, so zero (or near zero) calorie. I used to get the small tubs that made 2 quarts, but my local store stopped carrying those (probably didn't sell well), so now I get the little packets that you pour into a bottle of water. Good stuff! :)

cdmccool

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2006
Chug a bottle of Gatorade before going to bed after a night of drinking.

No hangover. :thumbsup:

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
There are tons of generics out there. Kirkland is my favorite generic. And I'd say that Gatorade is definitely better than Powerade taste-wise.

I buy Kirkland usually though, unless I can find the 32 oz bottles on sale for a buck or less.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I always keep Gatorade/Powerade powder around for when someone gets sick (I have two kids and a spouse who seem to get sick regularly every winter.) I usually buy two flavors, so they can be consumed separately or mixed together, giving 3 choices. The powders keep forever and nobody's particularly tempted to get into it when they're just thirsty, so it's still around when it's really needed.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: FoBoT
try the new G2
it is much lower calorie than the normal stuff

quite tasty

Tastes like Jello. My favorite is the blue Fierce. But for some reason stores around here only carry a small amount of it on the shelf and I always end up buying it all.

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
Here is one article for you:
http://faculty.washington.edu/.../Misc/RBC/QandA3.shtml

I disagree somewhat with what is said. Most of the research I have read states that the electrolytes in Gatorade are a much better mixture than in Powerade or other drinks. Basically, Gatorade came out and was good for high performance athletes and other beverage companies sell stuff that tastes the same or has "comparable" ingredients.

If you are hydrating to play College level athletics Gatorade is the top choice. If you are drinking them while sitting on your couch you might as well grab a beer since it's about the same calories. In fact, unless you are really playing hard water is a better choice since you don't need the replacement sugars and electrolytes. A 20-30min jog is better hydrated with water since it has no calories and you won't be putting back on some of the calories you just worked so hard to burn.

Honestly I prefer the flavor of Powerade but w/e, I'm hardly a highly tuned machine. Do beware though that outside of these 2 choices most of it is just water with a ton of sugar which is not good for you when you're exercising. And be careful of what you get at the gym alot of that stuff has creatine and all kinds of who-knows-what added.

As far as being sick is concerned I would stick with Gatorade. My favorite is Gatorade Frost when I'm sick. When you're sick it's the electrolytes that throw you off and Gatorade has the most clinical testing (yes you can actually look at the data on UF's website).

About the powdered versionsI would either steer clear or do the research. I remember reading they have the sugar but not the electrolytes, could be total BS though so I would at least look it up.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Lazy8s

I disagree somewhat with what is said. Most of the research I have read states that the electrolytes in Gatorade are a much better mixture than in Powerade or other drinks. Basically, Gatorade came out and was good for high performance athletes and other beverage companies sell stuff that tastes the same or has "comparable" ingredients.

If you are hydrating to play College level athletics Gatorade is the top choice. If you are drinking them while sitting on your couch you might as well grab a beer since it's about the same calories. In fact, unless you are really playing hard water is a better choice since you don't need the replacement sugars and electrolytes. A 20-30min jog is better hydrated with water since it has no calories and you won't be putting back on some of the calories you just worked so hard to burn.

Honestly I prefer the flavor of Powerade but w/e, I'm hardly a highly tuned machine. Do beware though that outside of these 2 choices most of it is just water with a ton of sugar which is not good for you when you're exercising. And be careful of what you get at the gym alot of that stuff has creatine and all kinds of who-knows-what added.

As far as being sick is concerned I would stick with Gatorade. My favorite is Gatorade Frost when I'm sick. When you're sick it's the electrolytes that throw you off and Gatorade has the most clinical testing (yes you can actually look at the data on UF's website).

About the powdered versionsI would either steer clear or do the research. I remember reading they have the sugar but not the electrolytes, could be total BS though so I would at least look it up.

Oh yea? Link to said "research".

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Originally posted by: FoBoT
try the new G2
it is much lower calorie than the normal stuff

quite tasty

Tastes like Jello. My favorite is the blue Fierce. But for some reason stores around here only carry a small amount of it on the shelf and I always end up buying it all.

G2 tastes less sweet, gatorade rain tastes like jello.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
I prefer the taste of Powerade.

Couldn't give a sh1t which one has more magical beans in it.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Colt45
brawndo, the thirst mutilator

uncomfortable amounts of ENERGY

EDIT: Wait, was that an Idiocracy reference? Wow. I still have the cable bill on the fridge from when I paid for that movie. It's my public shaming to all guests.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: dug777
I prefer the taste of Powerade.

Couldn't give a sh1t which one has more magical beans in it.

lol

i always liked All Sport, i dont think its made anymore never see it

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: sjwaste
Originally posted by: Colt45
brawndo, the thirst mutilator

uncomfortable amounts of ENERGY

EDIT: Wait, was that an Idiocracy reference? Wow. I still have the cable bill on the fridge from when I paid for that movie. It's my public shaming to all guests.

It's got electrolytes!

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
The sugar content in these sports drinks is usually half or less that of sodas, so that's good. The problem is it comes in larger bottles to compensate, and unless your really (having come out both ends), or sweating heavily, all those extra salts and sugar aren't all that good for you.

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: Lazy8s

Oh yea? Link to said "research".

No, I gave you a link to research already if you care google gatorade vs. powerade. Jebus why does everyone on this forum want you to do all of the research for them? I already did some.

Here, there's got to be an article in here somewhere:
http://www.gssiweb.com/Article....aspx?topicid=9&code=1
that should get you started.