Question Is there anything similar to TriXX Boost for Nvidia GPUs to reduce rendering resolution of games?

devetimon

Sep 10, 2020
I have a 4k monitor and a Nvidia Geforce Rtx 2060 super. Many games struggle to run at 4k at a decent framerate, and many games today still don't have an in-game internal scaler to reduce the rendering res, so I must set the monitor resolution at lower non-native res but the result is softened and blurred graphics quality in games.

I know that Amd cards have the possibility to use TriXX Boost, a specific software that enables to run games at higher fps by reducing the rendering resolution and upscaling the final output image to the monitor 4k native resolution. This way you don't have to lower the monitor resolution nor the game resolution, avoiding softened and blurred images.

I've done some researchs and wasn't able to find something similar for Nvidia cards. Do you know if there are any software which do the same for Nvidia cards, by reducing the game rendering resolution and upscaling the final output image to the monitor native res?

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
What games are you playing? When I had my R9 290 and 1070 for 4k, I stuck with pre 2015 games to maintain 60fps. When I couldn't maintain 60, I switched back to a 1080p high refresh display.

One workaround would be using CRU to create a custom resolution near your GPU's limit with big black borders. Or playing in windowed mode at a lower res to keep the game looking crisp.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
You can do upscaling with sharpening. Integer scaling literally does make pixels four times larger. But if you are seeing the pixels, it makes me wonder what size screen you are using, and how far away you sit from it. If you had a 27" 1080P display, and a 27" 4K display, but running 1080P, they should look identical.

Or there are games that support DLSS with ray tracing.

devetimon

Sep 10, 2020
You can do upscaling with sharpening. Integer scaling literally does make pixels four times larger. But if you are seeing the pixels, it makes me wonder what size screen you are using, and how far away you sit from it. If you had a 27" 1080P display, and a 27" 4K display, but running 1080P, they should look identical.

Or there are games that support DLSS with ray tracing.

I tried setting lower than native resolutions + sharpening via Nvidia Control Panel but the result was not good, still blurred image. And if I tried pushing with more sharpening, the image looked very artificial and innatural.

While with integer scaling, pixels were too big and in-game text was unreadable. I am using a Philips Momentum 32inch 4k display