Is there any way to make my Epson printer print even though it says it's out of black ink?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Any ideas?

I should be able to print until I can barely see the text if I want to. :frown:

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
I also would like to know this, as I've tried manually refilling my black ink cartridge and it still says it's on empty, and won't print.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: The_good_guy
there is this thing that they sell on ebay to "reset" the cartirge chip to make it show that its no longer empty. costs about 15 bucks.

http://inkjetrefilloutlet.com/product.php?product=Chip+Resetter+for+Epson+Cartridges

not sure if it works though.
That sounds like a solution to Sabot's problem, at least. :)

WTF though.. if I type some magenta text, it should fscking print magenta text, I know black is out of ink.

Bastards.

Besides, I bet I can get a few more prints out of the black ink.

Is it like hard coded into the drivers not to let it print when the out of ink warning is on? :(

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Nobody knows? :(

I need to print some stuff, and it doesen't need to be black... but it won't let me.. lol

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
How often are you going to print pure megenta text (the exact magenta in the cartridge?)
You need black to make it darker as necessary (and you will need to make it darker or lighter), or at least, that's what I would assume, which is why you can't print.

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Another one:
http://www.alotofthings.com/supportforrefillers/ResettingTheEpsonChip.html

And another:

Some Epson models come with an IC CHIP attached to their tanks. This chip contains a variety of cartridge related information, especially about the amount of ink remaining. When the tank is full, the counter is set at a fixed value. As the ink is used, the CHIP counts downwards until it reaches a value of ZERO. This indicates that the cartridge is empty and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, the empty cartridge cannot be refilled as the printer has already acknowledged it as empty. However, this problem can be overcome with a simple trick using a brand new ink cartridge. You do not need a re-setter. Just carry out the following:

1. Remove both screws from the back side of the printer.

2. Open the printer cover (the grey lid) and remove the 2 screws from inside. The printer case can now be removed to reveal the print head and cartridge holder.

3. Switch the printer on and press the ink cartridge replacement button.

4. Insert a brand new cartridge.

5. Press the cartridge replacement button once again.

6. Wait until the print head has moved back to its' original position (far right).

7. Do not switch the printer off! Remove paper and case but the cable must remain connected!

8. Insert the cartridge that has been refilled, in the cartridge holder in the printer.

9. Run a print test.

10. That's's it! The CHIP on the refilled cartridge has been rewritten with the memory of the CHIP on the brand new cartridge. Therefore, the printer now reads the refilled cartridge as being full, and begins once again, the count down to zero.

Note that after 20-30 refills, the quality of printing diminishes and so it is best to start again with a new cartridge.

There is a positive side to the IC CHIP! It prevents the printer from printing further when the cartridge is empty. This means that unprinted work will be saved in the memory to be printed when the cartridge is replaced. The printhead is also saved from becoming damaged.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Epson printers automatically shut down when any ink level is low. There is no way to override this. This is meant to be a protection system against running any ink dry, because running an ink cartridge to dryness has a high likelihood of destroying the printer. Despite this, you still cannot print using the black cartridge only, or colour cartridge only if the other is running low.

With HP if the colour inks run out, you can still print in b/w only. In fact, the printer doesn't stop you printing at all - just the quality gradually gets fainter and fainter.

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Also search for SSC Service Utility...
I believe It enables you to reset the ink counter on Epson printers, allowing you to print.