Is there any way to isolate a telephone from others on the same line?

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I'm looking for a way to isolate a particular phone from others that are connected to the same line (in other rooms, for example). What this means is that noone should be able to pick up their receiver and hear what I'm saying if mine is already picked up.

I'm sure that there is a device that does this, but I don't know what it's called nor where to look for one.

Can anyone help me out?

Dhruv

May 15, 2001
i have no idea but can point ya in a direction:

i do know that the GE 4 line biz phone sold by office depot and office max has a privacy button. if i remember correctly, it only allows the two people on the line to hear each other. you may want to try it out you'll need two though i think. you can return if it doesn't work. they aren't cheap though at 85+ dollars each after applying 2 20 off 75 dollar coupons.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Dhruv
i have no idea but can point ya in a direction:

i do know that the GE 4 line biz phone sold by office depot and office max has a privacy button. if i remember correctly, it only allows the two people on the line to hear each other. you may want to try it out you'll need two though i think. you can return if it doesn't work. they aren't cheap though at 85+ dollars each after applying 2 20 off 75 dollar coupons.
but any phone that wasn't of the perticular brand could still hear the conversation

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
if you want to keep your phone sex private you've got to have your own number.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Actually, there is a device that will do this. I read it in an electronics DIY magazine years ago but I'm afraid I can't recall what the device is.

Basically, it's a solid state device that will conduct when voltage is above a certain threshhold and will continue to conduct, but won't conduct when voltage is below the threshhold.

Since the on-hook voltage of the telephone line is ~90 volts, and the off-hook voltage is ~5 volts, if one of these devices is installed in every telephone jack on the line, then only the first telephone to go off-hook will work.

This does require that one of these doodads be installed on each jack.

I'll see if maybe I can find that article...

Dhruv

May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
Actually, there is a device that will do this. I read it in an electronics DIY magazine years ago but I'm afraid I can't recall what the device is.

Basically, it's a solid state device that will conduct when voltage is above a certain threshhold and will continue to conduct, but won't conduct when voltage is below the threshhold.

Since the on-hook voltage of the telephone line is ~90 volts, and the off-hook voltage is ~5 volts, if one of these devices is installed in every telephone jack on the line, then only the first telephone to go off-hook will work.

This does require that one of these doodads be installed on each jack.

I'll see if maybe I can find that article...

right... what he said..

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I believe you could go to ISDN service, then get ISDN phones for each line. IIRC, ISDN can not be eavesdropped on by other phones on the same line.

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I could swear that I saw a device that did this a couple of years back in a Sony accessories catalog. It was basicaly a line filter-like device, and was only used on the phone you wished to be private. You would have to plug the phone cable into it first, and then it into the jack or something.

I don't know why I remember this so well, but since I do, I think I must've read through the description and hence there must be a simple device for doing this kind of thing.
I'll look into it and if I find anything, I'll let all you sex addicts know. :Q

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Radio shack sells inline modules that will do that, you put one on every extension but the one you're using.

People use them so their modem connections don't get interrupted, to have private conversations, etc.

They ran about $10 apiece when I got them.

Viper GTS

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Radio shack sells inline modules that will do that, you put one on every extension but the one you're using.

People use them so their modem connections don't get interrupted, to have private conversations, etc.

Viper GTS

Thanks. That's more like it. I'm sure though that the devices I've seen were used just like that, but on the line you want private, rather than all of the others.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: IgoByte
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Viper GTS

Thanks. That's more like it. I'm sure though that the devices I've seen were used just like that, but on the line you want private, rather than all of the others.

I think you have it backwards, as they have to be able to cut off the extensions when they're picked up.

Viper GTS