Is there any way to get a 98-compatible device working in XP/NT/2k?

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I just bought a New Media Toast n' Jam from a user on ebay who claimed that XP "plug and play" device support would allow the device to work in XP. Guess what? No dice. :| It's the only cheap solution I've been able to find to get sound working on my laptop (broken sound card), and it doesn't appear to work. There are Windows 98 drivers, but I haven't been able to get them to work on it yet. Anyone have any suggestions, besides returning it? I'm hoping that there is some trick that I'm missing...

Rob

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Are there Windows 2000 drivers for it?

You can try to install those.

Is this company out of business?

Well, if their auction listed it as XP compatible and it will not work and they cannot get it to work then money back unless sold as-is...

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
I know for software, you can select compatibility mode with XP, and make it run like its in 98, but I really don't know if hardware has that option. I'm sure someone knows?

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Looks like it uses and Adaptec 152x driver for the SCSI component, and perhaps that's what the seller was referring to when they said it'll plug-n-play with XP. I don't see anything on Google about the sound and a driver for NT/2K/XP so I think you are SOL.

Creative has a USB (=external) SBLive type device that would possibly work. If your laptop doesn't ahve USB, You could get a USB PCMCIA card and then the CreativeLabs device if you wanted sound that badly... probably not worth the expense though.