Is there any way I can get grass to stop clogging my lawn mower?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
as everyone else said, the fault is that you are mowing wet grass. Those lawn mowers just can handle it -- you might have to get one of those expensive commercial ones.

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
Originally posted by: nonameo
Mulcher FTW. Cuts up pine cones, sticks, etc. as well. I just run over all of that !@$^

Use a brushhog, just hook it up to the PTO on your Kobuta.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
Why in the world are you bagging your cuttings? Mulch!

But yeah, spring grass is always clumpy no matter what you do. It's just too wet in the spring, full of moisture and growing too fast.

I do it a few times a year for compost.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Originally posted by: Amused
Why in the world are you bagging your cuttings? Mulch!

But yeah, spring grass is always clumpy no matter what you do. It's just too wet in the spring, full of moisture and growing too fast.

I do it a few times a year for compost.

Yeah, I bag when I know I'm going to be having company over and we will be outside. Better to bag it than have grass all over people's shoes getting tracked into the house when they get a cold one or use the restroom.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
1) As mentioned, wait for the grass to dry before mowing it, kinda hard up here near Seattle though.

2) Keep the speed on the mower up, the faster the blades move the more they cut.

3) Move slower, it'll pull less grass through the tube, and not clog as much.

4) Cut at a higher setting, more times per week.

5) Lastly, check your blades to see if they're sharp. If you haven't sharpened them in a season or two, they need it without a doubt.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Just take the bagger off for a few weeks. I had the same problem this year; and no, my grass wasn't wet. It was 3pm when I ran the mower and hadn't rained in days.