is there any reason my neighbor keeps switching his wireless channel to match mine?

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
My immediate neighbor has some super duper Technicolor router that has a great signal. I don't want to share channel with him. But he is always changing his channels to match mine. Is there any specific reason why he'd be doing this?

I am Helloaworld. He is Damagedgoods

8YLNOmL.jpg

rX9nY6J.jpg

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
HeDoesntLikeYou.png

I don't like you either... :(

You would have to ask the guy really lol. Im pretty sure you can hide your wireless network and with it the channel it is using. He can still find it by being a bit tech savvy but its worth a try. Could also change your network name to DamagedgoodsSucks or something.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
The possibilities are:
1) He's doing it on purpose. You'd have to ask him why.
2) He's not doing it on purpose and he (or his router) is just changing the channel occasionally to try to find the best option as the other signals in the area also change.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It's probably automatic. I set mine like that as well so it will cwitch to the lesser used channels and it is also a technicolor. It is comcast's gateway that they started using.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
If you look at the first graph you posted from WiFi Analyzer, it probably answers your question for you. Your area is congested with a whole lot of wireless networks...you're going to end up sharing channels with someone, and the channel your router is on is probably usually the least noisy channel that his router is detecting.