Is there ANY easy way to add music to my iPod/iPhone? I haven't been able to for YEARS!

Matt_Stevens

Dec 17, 2009
I am really at my whits end. iTunes is IMPOSSIBLE to understand. I can build a computer, but I cannot understand itunes or any of the alternatives and always ended up deleting my phone, even when trying like mad to follow the directions. As a result I have not added music to my iPhone 4 (which i used as an iPod) or my old ipod for YEARS. I kid you not.

Today I tried to make a go at it and failed miserably. I tried all of these alternative apps like WinX MediaTrans, PodTrans, MusicBee, etc. and they are beyond confusing. I almost deleted my phone again.

I just want a simple way to move some of the THOUSANDS of songs I have on my computer onto my ipods. This should not be rocket science, but it is.

There is a reason why I stick to CD's in my car. It's because it's easy!!! Unfortunately I purchased al older classic car that has a tape deck that was rebuilt with an AUX input for iPods. Dammiot, I really need to fix this problem.

Can someone p[lease lend me a hand? I know you are rolling your eyes and maybe my dyslexia makes this harder for me as it tends to rear its ugly head when I get frustrated and THIS frustrates me.

Thanks. I am on a Windows 7 PC and have my music library from CD's all converted to MP3's. Remember, I have an iPohone 4 running iOS 7.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Well, you could upload your music to Google Play Music (free up to 50,000 songs) and then just use the iOS app download/stream music to your device. If you are frequently adding things to your iTunes library, I believe Google Play Music Manager will keep your iTunes library in sync with your Google Play Music library.

-KeithP

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I used to use a program call yamipod for my ipod. Made it act like a diskdrive with drag and drop. Pretty sure apple killed that off. ITUNES is the worse thing ever invented. Reason #1 why I hate apple with a passion.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Is the aux jack you're talking about iPod/phone specific? Because personally if I had that much trouble I'd take all the iStuff and toss it in the recycle bin. Life's too short.

If you can use any device with the aux jack, just get a decent dedicated media player or use an android phone.

I think iTunes is a steaming pile of rubbish the same as the next guy who's realized almost everything else is far superior... but still, last time I reverted to putting music on an iDevice I don't recall it being that difficult. Maybe I've just blocked it out.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
Add music to iTunes, plug in phone, press sync. It amazes me how difficult people find such a simple process!

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Add music to iTunes, plug in phone, press sync. It amazes me how difficult people find such a simple process!

Maybe it's because most of us come from Windows environments where you simply drag and drop files. Apple added too many layers to this I'm sure mainly for copy protection. You can drag and drop pictures off your phone, but for music, videos you have to go though iTunes and setup folders and sync stuff and it's a PITA.

Reactions: Zaap and Oyeve

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
Maybe it's because most of us come from Windows environments where you simply drag and drop files. Apple added too many layers to this I'm sure mainly for copy protection. You can drag and drop pictures off your phone, but for music, videos you have to go though iTunes and setup folders and sync stuff and it's a PITA.

I come from Windows and have never found iTunes a problem. No need to setup folders just point iTunes to your existing ‘music’ folder on your hard drive and it’ll pick up all the songs in there.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I come from Windows and have never found iTunes a problem. No need to setup folders just point iTunes to your existing ‘music’ folder on your hard drive and it’ll pick up all the songs in there.

I converted to iPhone and 95% of how it works is excellent and super easy, but iTunes is not.

You’re right you don’t need to make a new folder and sync it. But you do have to sync whatever folders your music is in outside of what you didn’t buy from Apple.

What about when your iPhone is full and you want to change what it syncs? Nightmare.

What if you don’t like what’s on your iPhone and you want your other songs to sync? Nightmare.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Yeah, I don't really like the idea of an app 'syncing' my music for me. If I want an artist/album on my mobile device- connect/copy. That's it. All my music is properly tagged and has album art, so I don't even need iTunes to pretend to do that for me. I've heard tales from people that iTunes absolutely TRASHED their tags and album art etc. with a very ham-fisted approach to files outside of being purchased from Apple. Never experienced that myself because I wouldn't let iTunes anywhere near my obsessively well-arranged music collection.

Also, just from reading people's terrible experiences with iTunes (hardcore Mac fans otherwise too) I'm far more inclined to believe that 'nightmare' scenarios happen just as often as "Oh, everything is peachy and it always works 100%!"

Reactions: TheNiceGuy

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
I am really at my whits end. iTunes is IMPOSSIBLE to understand. I can build a computer, but I cannot understand itunes or any of the alternatives and always ended up deleting my phone, even when trying like mad to follow the directions. As a result I have not added music to my iPhone 4 (which i used as an iPod) or my old ipod for YEARS. I kid you not.

Today I tried to make a go at it and failed miserably. I tried all of these alternative apps like WinX MediaTrans, PodTrans, MusicBee, etc. and they are beyond confusing. I almost deleted my phone again.

I just want a simple way to move some of the THOUSANDS of songs I have on my computer onto my ipods. This should not be rocket science, but it is.

There is a reason why I stick to CD's in my car. It's because it's easy!!! Unfortunately I purchased al older classic car that has a tape deck that was rebuilt with an AUX input for iPods. Dammiot, I really need to fix this problem.

Can someone p[lease lend me a hand? I know you are rolling your eyes and maybe my dyslexia makes this harder for me as it tends to rear its ugly head when I get frustrated and THIS frustrates me.

Thanks. I am on a Windows 7 PC and have my music library from CD's all converted to MP3's. Remember, I have an iPohone 4 running iOS 7.
I feel exactly the same way! I posted years ago about this. I would’ve bought an android phone years ago if we weren’t locked into a family contract.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
I converted to iPhone and 95% of how it works is excellent and super easy, but iTunes is not.

You’re right you don’t need to make a new folder and sync it. But you do have to sync whatever folders your music is in outside of what you didn’t buy from Apple.

What about when your iPhone is full and you want to change what it syncs? Nightmare.

What if you don’t like what’s on your iPhone and you want your other songs to sync? Nightmare.

Manually choosing what to sync is very easy. Just check the songs/artists that you want to sync to your phone and then press sync. It does it all for you after that with no need to mess around with files and folders yourself.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Manually choosing what to sync is very easy. Just check the songs/artists that you want to sync to your phone and then press sync. It does it all for you after that with no need to mess around with files and folders yourself.
It's more complex if you want to use playlists and organize playlists into folders. The actual sycning is easy, once you've done the front end work. For me, the real pisser is Apple's refusal to recognize FLAC files. If I want music on Android and Apple devices, it requires an ALAC and a FLAC copy, wasting drive space. Thank goodness for dbPoweramp.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
FWIW, I do not use the current version of iTunes, but ver. 11.01 because it streams radio with much less hassle. No, I can't manage my collection on my Android phone with it, but there are other applications that can. You can find earlier versions of iTunes on the interwebs, so you might try that. You'd think in this day and age it would be a breeze to manage a music collection on current phones, but apparently not.

Sandalfo

Mar 23, 2020
Oh boy I hate iTunes. Gave it up years ago. I use the cloud instead for saving / restoring my phone.
And for all my music needs i use Apple Music with 9.99$ subscription. I can listen to anything I want.
Only case where I would be bothered is if I want to listen to music from my band or friends' bands, then I guess you can upload it for free to Google Play Music and stream it from there. Too bad Apple Music does not let you do that.