is there an easy way to know how long to cook meat for?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who reads my posts, but I'm kind of a dumbass :p

last night, I took some boneless/skinless chicken breasts out of the freezer with the intent to cook them over the stove, where I can get a decent impression as to how well it's cooked simply by looking at it, but lo and behold, I get home from work tonight so discover that I don't have a pan :eek:

I do, however, have a cookie sheet and an oven. so I figure I can just throw them in the oven, but I've got no idea how long or at what temp to cook the breasts at to ensure that I don't kill myself.

edit: 10 seconds on google ftw... http://www.chowhound.com/topics/372423

Manuwell

Jan 19, 2006
Well, easy for poultry !

After a reasonable amount of time (for chicken breast, let's say 20-30 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees. Longer for a full chicken), you simply pick a sharp knife into the meat up to the center of the piece. Look at the color of the juice coming out of it:

* unclear (pink/white/other) = not good
* Cristal clear = Good
* No more juice = open a can of gravy, because your meat will be as dry as a piece of wood.

If you really want to be sure, cut the breast in 2, check the color and put it back in the oven if it still looks pinky.

Enjoy.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
If I do chicken breasts inside the house I always broil. Broiling cooks the top and makes all the seasonings/marinade adhere to the meat better.

I move the rack to the middle-low part of the oven, set it to broil low, and cook it for 12 minutes on a side.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
For steak, there is the "palm reading" method. Poke the steak with your finger and compare its elatisicity to the way the meaty part of your palm, just below the thumb, feels when making an "O" with the tips of your thumb and and another finger.

A rare steak will feel like your palm when making an "O" with your thumb and index finger.

A medium rare steak will feel like your palm when making an "O" with your thumb and middle finger.

A medium steak will feel like your palm when making an "O" with your thumb and ring finger.

A well done steak will feel like your palm when making an "O" with your thumb and pinkie.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
And please, no jokes about making an "O" with your whole palm... that's just uncalled for.

:D

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
30 minutes baked @ 350..
than top with cream of mushroom or chicken

put water in a smaller pan below the chicken so it stays moist.

GL

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
burn it...if its charred on the outside then you cvan reasonably bet its done~~~

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Use your finger to poke it. QED has the right idea. Chicken when cooked properly will still be slightly soft/spoungey to the touch but offer some resistance. You're going for a medium well kind of feel.

chicken breasts don't have to rest so you can slice right into them to check.

Nothing worse than overcooked chicken. Don't over cook chicken/pork.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Manuwell
Well, easy for poultry !

After a reasonable amount of time (for chicken breast, let's say 20-30 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees. Longer for a full chicken), you simply pick a sharp knife into the meat up to the center of the piece. Look at the color of the juice coming out of it:

* unclear (pink/white/other) = not good
* Cristal clear = Good
* No more juice = open a can of gravy, because your meat will be as dry as a piece of wood.

If you really want to be sure, cut the breast in 2, check the color and put it back in the oven if it still looks pinky.

Enjoy.

:thumbsup: I use this method with very good results.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: QED
And please, no jokes about making an "O" with your whole palm... that's just uncalled for.

:D

I was wondering why I couldn't manage to find out if my meat was cooked by using your method...

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Two options, go out to eat or, go to a Dollar store and get a damn thermometer. Next, put an ad on Craigslist for a keeper.