Question Is there an all-in-one stress test program that will monitor temperatures?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I have a laptop that someone is claiming is overheating. Before I take the darn thing apart and spend an hour applying thermal paste, is there a program I can run that will record temperatures while doing a stress test and save those results even if it crashes?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Look up the accepted running temps for your cpu at idle and under full load. Depending on various factors, Intel chips for example run at idle temps between 30 and 50 deg . Anything over 85 can be a problem.

Install CPU-ID and HWMonitor (HWM)

Close all apps so the system is at idle and run HWM.

HWM will then show motherboard temperature(s) at idle for the cpu or cores as well as other temps emmanating from the board, like temperatures for memory sticks, graphics card, etc. If the cpu values are within the normal ranges for your processor, then it is not over heating.

If you run that machine hard, called full load or even partial load, the cpu may still overheat . Lets see. Run CPU-Z which shows data for various motherboard functions. The one TAB you are interested in says "Bench": so activate "bench cpu". That runs all cpu/cores at 100%.Look at HWM.Temps under the maximun ?

If the temps run higher than the maximum recommended temps heating is likely a problem if you run the machine full out-not likely usage of laptop) .

You can leave HWM running as you use the machine to determine temps under regular use. As long as cpu temp stays within normal range, no problem.

Report temps here if you want. Actually there is a forum for just that discussion.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Look up the accepted running temps for your cpu at idle and under full load. Depending on various factors, Intel chips for example run at idle temps between 30 and 50 deg . Anything over 85 can be a problem.

Install CPU-ID and HWMonitor (HWM)

Close all apps so the system is at idle and run HWM.

HWM will then show motherboard temperature(s) at idle for the cpu or cores as well as other temps emmanating from the board, like temperatures for memory sticks, graphics card, etc. If the cpu values are within the normal ranges for your processor, then it is not over heating.

If you run that machine hard, called full load or even partial load, the cpu may still overheat . Lets see. Run CPU-Z which shows data for various motherboard functions. The one TAB you are interested in says "Bench": so activate "bench cpu". That runs all cpu/cores at 100%.Look at HWM.Temps under the maximun ?

If the temps run higher than the maximum recommended temps heating is likely a problem if you run the machine full out-not likely usage of laptop) .

You can leave HWM running as you use the machine to determine temps under regular use. As long as cpu temp stays within normal range, no problem.

Report temps here if you want. Actually there is a forum for just that discussion.

THANKS for that tutorial. I've had cpuZ installed for a long time, but it doesn't have much of a "help" function, and it's confusing.

I clicked the "stress CPU" button, and it topped at about 71 C, according to coretemp, which I also have set up to display the cpu temp in the system tray. This is for an old intel core i5-2400.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Thanks. The laptop in question is a Dell ultrabook running an i7-6600u. I got CPU-Z and HWM running. Hit the "bench" CPU in CPU-Z and it go the processor up to 99c. Looks like the CPU is idling around 45c. Based on what I've seen for an i7-6600u this seems a little hot. When I benchmarked using CPU-Z I was not able to get it to lock up however.

Seems like the best thing to do would be to disassemble and clean out fan and reapply thermal paste to the CPU?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Thanks. The laptop in question is a Dell ultrabook running an i7-6600u. I got CPU-Z and HWM running. Hit the "bench" CPU in CPU-Z and it go the processor up to 99c. Looks like the CPU is idling around 45c. Based on what I've seen for an i7-6600u this seems a little hot. When I benchmarked using CPU-Z I was not able to get it to lock up however.

Seems like the best thing to do would be to disassemble and clean out fan and reapply thermal paste to the CPU?

It seems that the crash is your main problem and overheating a likely cause ? If so, the result of your testing suggests that heat does not appear the cause .Can you provide more info on the crash if it remains an issue. All details will help solve that .Note that Ajay suggests OCCT above.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
It seems that the crash is your main problem and overheating a likely cause ? If so, the result of your testing suggests that heat does not appear the cause .Can you provide more info on the crash if it remains an issue. All details will help solve that .Note that Ajay suggests OCCT above.
Thanks. I will see if I can get it to crash. The user who gave me the laptop was reporting crashes at seemingly random times, not during periods of heavy use. I suspect there might have been something else happening causing the crash, especially since I haven't had any crashes after using for a few hours and doing stress tests.