Is there a word for this?

TechnoPro

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003
The process of breaking something down, transporting it, and then reassembling at the other end?

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
A physical transport system would be called "teleportation".

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Some kind of compound word involving disassemble, transport, and assemble. While you may think teleportation, this process isn't really part of the definition since quantum teleportation via quantum entanglement works differently.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Relocate is what I would use.

Redeploy sort of works.

Move is pretty straight forward. It is usually understood that certain types of things need to be disassembled/reassembled.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: TechnoPro
The process of breaking something down, transporting it, and then reassembling at the other end?

I believe that is called WONKAVISION! :D

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by: altonb1
Originally posted by: TechnoPro

I believe that is called WONKAVISION! :D

mikey?

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Aflac
translocation sounds like it works.

If someone said they were going to translocate something, I would think they were going to move it, not break it down, the move it.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Leros

If someone said they were going to translocate something, I would think they were going to move it, not break it down, the move it.

Well, depending on what we're talking about, it might be assumed that it can't be moved without being taken apart.... But what are we talking about anyway?

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior

Well, depending on what we're talking about, it might be assumed that it can't be moved without being taken apart.... But what are we talking about anyway?

In my mind, I was picturing large construction equipment that has to be taken apart and transported on several trucks. No clue what the OP is talking about.

TechnoPro

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior

I'm talking about the concept of breaking down, moving, then reassembling. Whether it's IP traffic or anything else, I am lookign for the generic term.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
well for high level data constructs, we have serialization. but I'm not aware of any term for this process in general

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
I'm talking about the concept of breaking down, moving, then reassembling. Whether it's IP traffic or anything else, I am lookign for the generic term.
As far as I know there isn't a particular term to describe what you want. From a telecommunications standpoint all you have are network architectures like SONET/SDH/Gigabit Ethernet. Each has a different physical layer that provides the specific transport. The only thing that might work is to translate this into a single German word like a previous poster suggested.

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
Redeploy would be term I would find most fitting in this case