Is there a way to spoof my phone so that iphones think mine is also an iphone?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've been having an issue for years now here I constantly get duplicate texts, basically a week later I get all the same texts back again and it replays the whole conversation. I'm starting to think it's an apple thing, Apple has always done this weird thing where it treats android phones differently, making the bubble a different colour, and not supporting certain things like high res videos. Everyone just tells me I should get an iphone like everyone else instead of being the single outlier. And I think this is exactly what Apple wants and why they cripple androids on purpose. They will purposely make androids look inferior to others so people just tell you to get an iphone. I assume there must be some kind of "user agent" as part of SMS/MMS messages that iphones use to detect that someone is not using an iphone in a conversation. Is there a way to spoof this? I'm so tired of constantly having entire conversations replaying and I have not found any answers but probably because I'm one of few people using an Android. I'm hoping if I can make my phone appear as an iphone maybe this issue will stop. I think it's actually people's iphones that are sending the text again. Because if I put it in airplane mode it stops. So these are actual texts coming in and not a local glitch. Just grasping at straws here, I'm just so fed up of this issue.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't have that at all, just using QKSMS. But my sister mentioned something about imessage, I guess that's the default SMS app on Apple? It seems it does not play nice with android. I doubt they would be willing to switch to another app either or make any changes. I'm the one that's an outlier by not using Apple so not going to try to convince everyone to change their SMS app or settings.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
If you made your android appear as an apple device then iPhones would send iMessages to your Android and your Android would not receive them since it doesn't have iMessage.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Is there a way to get that or an app that uses the same protocol? I wonder if that's part of the issue. Maybe it's a bug in the way it talks to non iphones? But it's weird I'm the only person that has this issue I have asked on many mobile related subreddits or forums etc and it's just me. I guess most people are not using Androids that could be why.

The only SMS app that I didn't have this issue with was Signal, but they dropped SMS support.

When I am getting bombarded with texts from an old conversations I have also tried putting the sim card in my old phone which runs stock Android and it still happens on that phone too, so it rules out the custom rom being the issue.