Is there a way to split the bandwidth between 3 people on broadband equally?

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Basically here is the problem, we have 3 people sharing a wireless network here (my roomates) in my apartment. Basically, when one person is using a client like ABC to download torrents they suck up most of the bandwidth, and when someone else tried to play a game online they get a horrible ping. We have a 4mbps connection, so I was wondering if there is any way to split the connection into equal parts, or do something in ABC to limit the amount of bandwidth used.

Here is an example, one of my roomates is downloading some tv episodes of some cartoon show and sucking up all the bandwidth and I am getting around 150 kbps doing a speed test.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
It is possible to configure your BT client to cap the speed. But a better plan would be to take turns. You can pause torrents.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I'd sneak in to hise computer and camp his download speed. Maybe he won't notice.

Otherwise I know some routers support bandwidth throttling but I don't know anything about them.

Eltano1

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2000
The Linksys RT54G ( I think that is the model #) with the Svensoft firmaware will do th etrick.

Eltano

Eltano1

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2000
Thanks Goosemaster. :) I have a really, really tought weekend, my body is here working, but my mind is at home. I should have stayed home today.

Best regards

Eltano

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
I'd sneak in to hise computer and camp his download speed. Maybe he won't notice.

Otherwise I know some routers support bandwidth throttling but I don't know anything about them.

And how exactly could I do that? I would tell him though, and just to be fair I would do it on all the computer here.+

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Open up his Bit Torrent program and find the setting. Some let you only cap upload speed but some let you throttle the download speed as well...

Otherwise just tell him to do his BT'ing during the day while at work or at night while sleeping and not during times when others use the connection to. Or make him pay more of the bill since he uses all the bandwidth.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
I dont really know if ABC will let you set a max dl speed, but I know it will let you set a max upload.