is there a way to play Bioshock with DirectX 10 effect in WinXP?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Not that I know of.

But DX10 in Bioshock is much less noticeable in terms of differences than it is when going from DX9 to real Vista DX10 in Crysis (or when using the "DX10" tweaks in XP which in fact shows DX9 effects, you can't have real DX10 in XP, just so you know, it's not part of the OS at all).

In Bioshock from what I've seen myself the only differences I noticed were some of the water particle effects (more of them, "bouncing" from surfaces) and the smoke/dust effects which were not clipping inside the polygons or were not just 2D sprites... but other than that really there's no tangible differences, but maybe I haven't played it enough. If you're expecting some super mega resolution textures and better lightning/shadow effects you'll be in for a disappointment.

iskim86

Banned
Jul 6, 2001
www.isaackim.org
well i just want the water ripple effect when NPCs walk on water, that's about it. the water looks pretty sub-par right now... really cheesy ripples and water splashes. reminds me of popcorn.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I know what you mean, I too was a little disappointed by some of the visual aspects of the game, but Bioshock is barely "modifyable", if I can say. There's no official SDK for it yet, and the community haven't been able to really increase its vanilla graphics by any measurable extent.

There's a tweak guide for it over at http://www.tweakguides.com/Bioshock_1.html but it relates to the in-game options more than anything else exactly because the game is just stuck within itself, no SDK, no numerous .CFG's and/or .INI's to play with like Crysis or UT2004... as far as modding goes Bioshock is quite the game you want to avoid. And yes, that's one heck of a gigantic shame, because that game, with mods, would be tremendous.

The Bakery

Mar 24, 2008
Yeah the textures aren't great, and lots of the polygons could be smoother.

However, the lighting and general "atmosphere" in the game are spot on,
and make up for it in my opinion.

One thing that makes me angry is the wavy water effect when you peer out
of the windows. It totally destroys any sense of depth to the ocean outside
Rapture. And it's not even accurate - water doesn't do that.

Oh well - sorry for the unrelated comment!

iskim86

Banned
Jul 6, 2001
www.isaackim.org
I was expecting real eyecandy, since it uses unreal engine 3... gears of war and UT3 look gorgeous

hope the game play more than makes up for it, I've only played the first 20 minutes of it. man, all the current generation games totally spoiled me